unknown turbo prob - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
unknown turbo prob

Alright guys....long time member first time poster. I need some help....I have a 99.5 with homebrew propane set up, homemade afe stg II intake, 4" exhaust, ts performance 6 pos. chip that is set at 75 hp most of the time, autometer gauges, 6.o intercooler...I think that is most of it. Anyhow, I replaced the stock turbo with a modified stock turbo....1.15 housing, wicked wheel, EBPV delete, blank housing. I am experiencing a strange sound almost like pressure bleed-off. It starts from launch to about 2500 rpms. From that point I have great power and the noise abruptly stops. I've also noticed some high egt's associated with this prob as well. Could this be a wheel prob? This unit was sent back to the manufacturer once already with the 1.0 housing for improper remanufactur ( horrible shaft play after 4000 miles of use). I think they just reused the turbine wheel and housing (when I removed the turbo, I could see the wheel hitting the housing) When I got the new unit back, the wheel looked the same. So far I've got $2000 into a $1000 turbo and the remanufacturer is now blaming me and refuses to help me out..MUCH HELP IS NEEDED GUYS
Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Is it a wastegated exhaust housing?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 PM

Sorry...noob...it's a non-wastegated housing.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 PM

No ideas guys??? C'mon I brung it to the EXPERTS......
Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99.5stroker View Post
Alright guys....long time member first time poster. I need some help....I have a 99.5 with homebrew propane set up, homemade afe stg II intake, 4" exhaust, ts performance 6 pos. chip that is set at 75 hp most of the time, autometer gauges, 6.o intercooler...I think that is most of it. Anyhow, I replaced the stock turbo with a modified stock turbo....1.15 housing, wicked wheel, EBPV delete, blank housing. I am experiencing a strange sound almost like pressure bleed-off. It starts from launch to about 2500 rpms. From that point I have great power and the noise abruptly stops. I've also noticed some high egt's associated with this prob as well. Could this be a wheel prob? This unit was sent back to the manufacturer once already with the 1.0 housing for improper remanufactur ( horrible shaft play after 4000 miles of use). I think they just reused the turbine wheel and housing (when I removed the turbo, I could see the wheel hitting the housing) When I got the new unit back, the wheel looked the same. So far I've got $2000 into a $1000 turbo and the remanufacturer is now blaming me and refuses to help me out..MUCH HELP IS NEEDED GUYS
Charlie

Sounds like your turbo bearings are shot. Either rebuild turbo or I suggest you get a aftermarket turbo like a ball bearing turbo.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:10 PM

are you sure the sound isn't surge?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:31 PM

I'm pretty sure. I havent known surge to be a steady, solid, hissing sound before. As far as the bearings go, this SHOULD be a brand new unit. This unit has only 1500 miles on it, if that much. I considered a ball bearing unit but I thought those things (the garrett anyhow) could surge as well. If I'm wrong I'd be glad to be informed correctly......
Old 08-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

High egt's could be a boost leak also. You say you have a homemade filter what kind of shape is it in? Is it clean or is it dirty? Kind of tought to diagnose from behind a puter screen, but just throwing out the obvious off the top of my head
Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned

Its not surge... Not with the 1.15 housing... The Hi EGT's are a fact of life with the 1.15 housing... Really too big for a stock injectored truck. I would stop dumping money into that POS stocker and get a good drop in like Turbonetics...
Old 08-06-2007, 04:47 PM

the K and N filter is in perfect shape. I run the filter wrap with it as well and I did the measurements to make sure the filter met the cfm requirements of the engine. It actually surpasses them so I dont think that isn't the prob. but thanks for the advice.

Secondly, I was kinda thinking the same thing about the turbo being alittle too much for the stock injectors/ engine, but I am now too far in the hole wit this turbo. Would some rebuilt Exrtude Honed Injectors help or do I need to go bigger as well? Im not looking to make this thing a drag truck, although it is fun smokin' those little ricers and unsuspecting hotrodders in town This truck just does towing duties or runs me to work and back everynow and then.

Keep the ideas comin guys...I appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.