Passenger side cylinders not firing? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascan View Post
I have heard of a bad injector causing the IDM to send a message to the PCM, reporting a short. Then the PCM will then tell the IDM to stop firing a whole bank. This makes sense in this scenerio, because it runs fine for a couple moments. You can test the resistance in the injectors on that bank. You need to measure between the signal pin and the common return pin on the valve cover harness. It should read ~2.9 ohms.
Yea , I have seen this as well .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlansaw View Post
I have a friend that has a 2001 F450 7.3. He claims the cylinders on the passenger side aren't firing. The truck will start fine and run but seconds after the engine is running the passenger side cylinders drop. He says there is fuel, power and oil pressure. He has replaced sensors, wiring harnesses, and I'm not sure what all but he still can't find the cause.

I'm not a 7.3 mechanic but I am curious about what is causing this. Anyone have any ideas?
You need to get hooked up to the data link. with A reader that can perfom A buzz test on the injectors do it when its cold and then when its at operating tempeture. this test will buzz all of them at the start and then it will do them in numerical order. listen to them they will be loud if you hear a muted one or more cylinders ,then do the cylinder balance test . If you have any opens in the wireing it will post the codes after any of those test.Note the muted ones are A sign of A stuck solinoide.You can also look at icp pressure should be 500psi when cranking and fuel pressure should be 30 psi min to start. to test the fuel pressure there is A plug at the rear of the left head and on the front on the right head.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This past November I had my #8 injector fail while driving home to my parents place. It started as a check engine light coming on only under acceleration (though the truck was not misfiring at all) but then the following day killed the driver's side bank of the engine while driving. After towing the truck home (with another 7.3L lol) I saw that the truck would start and then after a second, half the engine would turn off and it would idle really bad until I shut it down.

I hit the forums and ended up pulling the valve covers to check the gasket harnesses, but they seemed to look ok and were plugged in. (I stuck quarters under the connectors for the hell of it).

After using a snap-on scanner the following day, the buzz test said #8 injector was bad (high to low side short). I though I read somewhere (also mentioned above) that the IDM could potentially kill a bank of injectors if it sensed a problem with one of them? Don't quote me...

Definitely get a buzz test done. Quick and easy (if you have a buddy with a scanner...)

I wanted to mention though that I was able to eventually fire up and drive on 7 injectors for a while with the truck no longer shutting the bank down. It was definitely missing on a cylinder. Not sure if this was because I cleared codes with my SCT livewire or because I messed with the valve cover gaskets...

Oh, and replacing #8 solved my problem completely. Good luck!

Last edited by mustang90; 03-24-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.