2002 no power 1900rpm thru redline - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 2002 no power 1900rpm thru redline

So my 02 has been acting strange. As stated it has now power. Idles fine dri ves fine if your light on the throttle taking it no higher than 2k rpm. I changed the oil and filter, the fuel filter iat the front of the engine. When you floor it and it downshifts the tach will drive up but slowly. It used to run hard up to the red and have ample power to do so.

I changed the icp for a new one thinking that was it but no change. I had removed my 5.6k resistor because it idles lopey with it and the new icp, idled fine before. So it wasn't the icp. Before I changed the icp I noticed when wot it smokes a light brown, not black like it used to when I bought it. I was told there's a spring and check ball where the return line goes back into the pump on the rail and if the springs broken it'll cause low fuel psi. I always buy fuel from the same station and have gone through 3 tanks since it started.

So what should I check? I looked at the boots connecting the turbo piping and they're connected and don't seem to leak. I can hear the turbo spooling so I know its not a boost issue. Judging from the brown not black smoke id guess its not getting fuel. There is no check engine light on.

I really need to getg this thing fixed, I use my truck as my daily and as my tow truck for my repo job.

The truck is an 02 4door 2wd auto 7.3diesel, k&n filter, straight pipe muffler. It had a 5.6k resistor but I removed it due to odd idle with new icp.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
dump the k&n.

But anyway sounds like a fuel problem to me.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well ill keep the filter suggestion in mind. I agree its fuel, where should I start diagnosing? I've already done the obvious: icp and forward filter atop the engine.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok if the pump on the frame is bad or not working, could it cause my issue? Would my truck even run with that pump not working?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So I just pulled the filter and cap, the bow is clean no sediment at all. Any one please help. I need suggestions on where to look or what to check or take apart and clean. I don't have a lot of money to spend on parts.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Sounds like low fuel pressure to me. You need to check fuel pressure at the bowl. I think it needs to be around 55-60 psi at idle. It will drop at WOT but not exactly sure how much.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, I will check the pressure. Assuming it drops off, I can assume its a bad pump, specifically the one on the rail? The bowl fills up fine. I'm going to check the ebpv aswell. I've done some reading and it sounds like if its caked up with soot it can cause a similar issue.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy88 View Post
Ok, I will check the pressure. Assuming it drops off, I can assume its a bad pump, specifically the one on the rail? The bowl fills up fine. I'm going to check the ebpv aswell. I've done some reading and it sounds like if its caked up with soot it can cause a similar issue.
Yeah, if it drops a lot the pump is probably the culprit and it is the pump on the rail. Only has one pump. It can fill the bowl fine and still have low pressure.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What if it drops off slowly? What's acceptable? I've been told there's a spring in the fpr that if broken can cause low pressure. How would I check this and where is the fpr located?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy88 View Post
What if it drops off slowly? What's acceptable? I've been told there's a spring in the fpr that if broken can cause low pressure. How would I check this and where is the fpr located?
If it's a pump then the pressure will drop quick under a load. I know guys do a BB mod on the 7.3's but I'm not sure about the spring. I'll see if I can find some info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.