head gaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
head gaskets

well i think i blew a head gasket. pushing collant out of the collant reservoir. not getting hot or anything, hence why i think i blew a gasket. can anyone give me advice on what gaskets to get (that are very good). plan on getting bigger injectors and diff trubo here in the future. not going to go to big w/ injectors cause i tow alot of weight sometimes. but need advice on gaskets. will i need new studs? if so, any decent cheap ones, low on cash flow right now. but if i gotta do it, might as do it right and get it done the first time. not putting alot of boost to her (maybe 27lbs. or so). any and all help will be thankful!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Pushing coolant out of the reservoir shouldn't be coming from a head gasket problem.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

sounds like a hole in teh cylinder wall and teh pressure is pushing it back to teh resivior
Old 07-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Emergency Services

i thought that it might a hole in the cylinder wall but when i turn down my chip and watch the boost pressure it doesn't push coolant out. so i'm pretty much dead sure that is what it is. i'm just wondering about head gaskets and head studs. what are good ones (gaskets/head studs), do i need to get new head studs? the guys that have their trucks pretty pump up, did any of you change head studs or gaskets? help please - vendors=any deals???
Old 07-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I recomend Cometic gaskets. They have held up really well in my truck at up to 51 psi and I know another guy that has hit 65 psi with no problems. I would say go with a set of H-11 headstuds if you can afford it right now. It will be easier to do it now than latter.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:31 PM

with only aorund 27 psi u should be fine with stock head bolts and not have to waste the money on head studs. i was pushin around 40 psi outta my truck with a stock turbo and stock head bolts and felpro gaskets. tho i did blow one of them when i put my HE turbo on there. but im pushin 30 psi with it. i put head studs in my motor wheni blew it the first time just to be on the safe side in case i decided to inject er or put a lil beefier injector in. but with stock turbo and only 27-35 psi of boost u should be fine. 7.3 head gaskets r not as apt to blowing as the 6.0, id think because the 7.3 has 2 more bolts on each cylinder than the 6.0.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Emergency Services

right w/ ya on the two more bolts a cylinder. i think that i'm going to break down and buy a set of arp head studs. might as well get it done now and have it done than have to tear the motor out and do it again. son of a .....
thanks for the help guys!!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 7.3 View Post
right w/ ya on the two more bolts a cylinder. i think that i'm going to break down and buy a set of arp head studs. might as well get it done now and have it done than have to tear the motor out and do it again. son of a .....
thanks for the help guys!!
lol. done been there and done that. i ve already had my motor out not once not twice but for the third time. but unless u r plannin on more mods then u shouldnt need head studs. esspecially since theyre about 700 bux a set. trust me i know. and torque them all down will kill a good man. u have to tighten them and loosen them back up 3 times to seat them. and the final torque is 125 ft lbs. and theres 18 studs per side.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Emergency Services

ya but plan on putting diff injectors and turbo in the truck after a while. so hopefully will have arp's to my house and in my truck in a little while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.