Smokes at startup after sitting overnight - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smokes at startup after sitting overnight

I working on a 2000 7.3PS with 160k that smokes after startup up, but only after it sits overnight. The smoke is white/grey and it clears up entirely after about 5 minutes. After that I can restart it with out any smoke. It starts easy and does NOT idle rough. Not sure if it's a blown head gasket that is seeping coolant, bad valve guide, compressed piston ring or glow plug related. A smarter tech would likely have little or no problem resolving this issue, but I'm not sure where to start. Some professional advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

air in the fuel line cause white smoke as well.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Where do I need to start to resolve thru a process of elimination? a, b, c, etc.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonsranchtx View Post
I working on a 2000 7.3PS with 160k that smokes after startup up, but only after it sits overnight. The smoke is white/grey and it clears up entirely after about 5 minutes. After that I can restart it with out any smoke. It starts easy and does NOT idle rough. Not sure if it's a blown head gasket that is seeping coolant, bad valve guide, compressed piston ring or glow plug related. A smarter tech would likely have little or no problem resolving this issue, but I'm not sure where to start. Some professional advice would be appreciated.
Could be a lot of things and it could also be normal. Check the basics first. When was the fuel filter changed last, oil and oil filter . . . make sure if the truck has been run hard the turbo has had time to cool down before shutting it off.

It could be the injector cups, injector o-rings, etc . . . with that kind of mileage i would guess it is injector related but doesn't sound like it's a major issue right now unless there is a miss while driving or an irratic idle. Also, check the batteries and alternator to be sure they are putting out the right voltage.

And last but not least it could just be a simple fix like a bad GPR or set of glow plugs. This would be my first guess.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Could be simple as a temp sender. White smoke = Lean, Black Smoke = Rich. If the temp sender is telling the computer that the engine is warm it may not be getting enough fuel during cold startup. Once it begans to actually warm up it doesn't require as much fuel and would began to run normal (no smoke).
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 AM

mine will smoke a little for around 30sec after sitting for a week
Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 AM

Mine smokes every time I start it . . . lol . . . a black puff and then a nice steady gray fuel cloud.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickhorse View Post
Mine smokes every time I start it . . . lol . . . a black puff and then a nice steady gray fuel cloud.
, sounds sweet... A little different than what I think he's talking about though.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's around 80 degrees today and it didn't hardly smoke at all initially when I started it, but it started "puffing" white/grey smoke shortly afterward. This lasted for a few minutes then it cleared up entirely. I drove it around the block and it seemed a little sluggish unless I had the rmp wound up. It has a new cam sensor, accelerator pedal assembly/positioning sensor, wix fuel filter, interstate batteries and some Lucas fuel treatment in the tank. I haven't changed the oil because I didn't want to waste it in the case I had to pull the motor. Wouldn't there be bubbles in the oil if it had a low compression issue? I'm going to get a grease pencil and mark the exhaust tubes to see if it's firing on all 8. That's all I know to do right now. I appreciate the assistance, do you have any other suggestions for troubleshooting at this point?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:09 PM

probably be easier to do a buzz and cylinder contribution test to make sure the injectors aren't completely dead. Live scan it as well, during initial start up. report back with some values. but in the meantime, don't throw parts at it. may be something as simple as replacing the ICP sensor, or as bad as injectors or a re-ring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.