Engine miss from 2100-2300 rpm, load or no load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine miss from 2100-2300 rpm, load or no load

we are working on 1999 f-350 7.3 powerstroke with manual trans that runs smooth until 2100 rpm's reached then it starts to miss on #7 cylinder, miss goes away above 2300 rpm. will miss driving or even miss in neutral when rpm hits 2100. compression 350 psi, used ford special tool to kill cylinders and #7 is only cylinder misfiring. removed injector and tip area pock marked. cup looked o/k. replaced injector, all engine valve springs. Did not fix. Replace ICP regulator next but did not fix. Has anyone seen this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM

Ecoboost what did you find out was wrong with this truck??? Mine has a very similar issue and was curious to your solution!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 AM

I think this may be the problem...but I would still like to hear what you all found out? Mine I believe ended up being a faulty CPS. I had to get one at a local parts store because of the time of day and so after putting a Ford OEM one in it seemed to clear up the miss, stuttor, jerk, lurch I had from 2400 to 2600 RPM. Also, I have one cylinder that is running around 360 PSI and it noticeably has a slight miss because of the lower pressure in that cyliner. The other 7 cylinders are running 380 PSI and above. Get back with us on your solution!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Yes, Please Post a Solution if you Found it, I have a Miss in Mine as Well.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM

trackman, what's the specifics with your engine miss?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:49 PM

2001 F350 DRW Crew Cab 7.3L 4x4 203,000 Miles Original Owner.
2500 Miles ago I had the Solenoid on top of Injector#5 Burn out and take the IDM with it.
Replaced Solenoid, Both UVC Wiring Harnesses, Both Valve Cover Gaskets, and All Injector O-Rings, New IPR, New IPS, and New CPS. Engine Ran great for 2500 Miles.
Now I all of the Sudden get a Miss, Very bad Miss, Got 2 Miles from the House and Barely made it Home. Will sit and Idle for ever. Start trying to Drive and she Spits and sputters. I have auto enginuity Software but it is not really telling me anything. I have Been working alot so I haven't been able to get back to her yet. I am guessing the IDM is going out again or the Wiring Harness on top of the engine needs replaced.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:28 AM

Yeah, I'm not an expert on these PSD's as I'm new to them, but I would say that if your IDM got toasted that possibly the wiring harness got damaged somehow. It also sounds like your miss isn't within a specific RPM range but at all points past idle? Another thought is are you getting any CEL's? You haven't mentioned any yet.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 AM

I did get a CEL or Service engine Light but it only came on Briefly after the miss.
No Codes Stored.

Hooked the AE Software to it last night and didn't get much.
Cleared all Codes and did Following:

KOEO Shows 2 Codes:
P0605 Internal Control Module Read only Memory (ROM) Error
P0273 Cylinder 5 injector circuit low.

Injector Buz Test only gives back the P0273 Cylinder 5 injector circuit low Code.

KOER Test shows one code:
P0476 Exhaust Pressure Control Valve Range / Performance

KOER Cylinder Contribution Test Shows:
P0269 Cylinder 3 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault
P0284 Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault

Truck did not miss during all of this so I took her for a Drive for about 15 mintues.
Drove it Hard and Soft and everyhting in Between.
I could not get it to miss at all.

After drive I only got one new DTC Code:
P1211 Injector Control Pressure Higher / Lower than Desired (Engine Running)
Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 AM

Sorry for the long lag on my response, had some seals to replace on my PSD and been trying to figure out possibly why it takes 3-4 seconds for my truck to fire even when plugged in on a 80 degree day or not plugged in on a 40 degree day?!

I've heard of the ROM error before, but I can't remember what I was told was the reason for it???
From a couple of those results it sounds like injector 5 is giving you some random issues. Like it's failing at idle. You said that injector 5 was the one you replaced only the solenoid on, but maybe your injector is giving issues to now. I can't guarantee this, but I had replaced an injector with a reman and it was working great under load, but when idleing it was failing. Took a while to find it, but after moving some injectors around and unplugging them one at a time...found it!
The circuit low does sound possibly like the wiring harness from the injector to the IDM may not up to par either. The interesting thing is your 3 & 8 fault codes? have you done a compression test on it yet? That may explain some things too.
For your ICP code, I'm gonna say watch your ICP while driving and see what it does...is it high or low?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, misfire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.