very bad mileage, new to the forum... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nwi
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
very bad mileage, new to the forum...

Well I finally decided to join this forum for help.
First my 03 7.3 f350 dually has been getting poor poor mileage since we can remember (like 9-10 mpg) The only thing we have gotten for it was a k&n drop in. Other than that it is bone stock. I know its a giant truck with a gint engine but what the heck, is it really suposed to get this bad of fuel econmy?

I have tried everthing from driving like a grandpa to driving like a tyeenage that just got his license. we also haul around a 14,000 lb goose neck horse trailer (the weird thing is the mileage stays the same, 9-10 mpg).

please, any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,104
Thanks: 4
Thanked 109 Times in 103 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You'd be surprised how much it can cost you in fuel mileage with bad rolling resistance alone. Be sure your brakes aren't dragging, bad bearings, locked hubs, low tires... All this can add up to a significant addition in that rolling resistance and cost you.

Also, simple things like dirty filters, stuck EBPV, and anything that keeps your engine from running efficiently will cost you too.

That being said, 10mph on a non-towing dually IS low but, you might only be off by 3-5

Also, K&Ns Suck (literally) and will allow way too much dirt into your engine and turbo.... For the sake of longevity, there are better choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nwi
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
You'd be surprised how much it can cost you in fuel mileage with bad rolling resistance alone. Be sure your brakes aren't dragging, bad bearings, locked hubs, low tires... All this can add up to a significant addition in that rolling resistance and cost you.

Also, simple things like dirty filters, stuck EBPV, and anything that keeps your engine from running efficiently will cost you too.

That being said, 10mph on a non-towing dually IS low but, you might only be off by 3-5

Also, K&Ns Suck (literally) and will allow way too much dirt into your engine and turbo.... For the sake of longevity, there are better choices.
The only thing wrong with the tires and other rolling things, is one of the wheel bearings are going out, but that just started so thats not it. we own a tire repair shop so that stuff gets checked often.
I was reading about the EBPV. How would you determin if thats the culprit?

The meter is perfectly accurate (I tested it the hard way on fillups)

The k&n is not great, your right about that. try telling that to my father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 96
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think the truck itself has a lot to do with it. I got my truck new at which 9.5 MPG was average, I drove at low RPMs with no load until 7500 mi. at which point I got 10.9 and now that I am at 65,000 mi I get 14.0. Duallies get pretty bad mileage in general, but it all depends on your set up, I have 4.10 gears, 235/85/16 tires, and a lead foot (I tried grandpa driving but got like .25 mpg more), I know a buddy that runs smaller tires and get worse mileage (higher rpm to maintain speed). I also calculate the mileage manually (miles driven divided by gallons of fuel used). The best I have seen on these trucks was 15 mpg on 2wd 3.73 truck. you can reset the mileage computer by pressing both buttons. just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nwi
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockingDiesel View Post
I think the truck itself has a lot to do with it. I got my truck new at which 9.5 MPG was average, I drove at low RPMs with no load until 7500 mi. at which point I got 10.9 and now that I am at 65,000 mi I get 14.0. Duallies get pretty bad mileage in general, but it all depends on your set up, I have 4.10 gears, 235/85/16 tires, and a lead foot (I tried grandpa driving but got like .25 mpg more), I know a buddy that runs smaller tires and get worse mileage (higher rpm to maintain speed). I also calculate the mileage manually (miles driven divided by gallons of fuel used). The best I have seen on these trucks was 15 mpg on 2wd 3.73 truck. you can reset the mileage computer by pressing both buttons. just my 2 cents.
Our truck has all the bells and whistles. It has the 4.10, its a lariat, 4 door, 4X4 sotf, two tone paint, dually, long bed, and to top it off its a 2003 with the 7.3. so I did not expect much. I did discover an odd thing, it actually gets 1.3 mpg better mileage if you are harder on the pedal then let off so it shifts earlier then get back on it for all the gears. I have gotten it up to 15 mpg but that was cruising on the hwy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 96
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could it be a sensor that is screwing with the EBPV? I think they are temperature activated. My dad has a similar truck (2WD) and gets the same as I do. We are in Alb NM @ 5000ft elevation, his got bad mileage after a sensor or something went wrong coming back from a trip to LA Stealer said it was with altitude change, not sure how that statement was but they fixed it under warranty (Thank for FORD ESP) its good now. Sorry to be long winded but my point is it turned out to be a $25 sensor. Does the truck do anything out of the ordinary, does it act up every so often or anything like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Batavia, Ohio
Posts: 2,597
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BIGBILL105 45
My trucks milage seems to be down as well. I was getting getting right around 18mpg during the warmer months so maybe the ebpv is sticking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 96
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know the winter blends can screw with the fuel economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nwi
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockingDiesel View Post
Could it be a sensor that is screwing with the EBPV? I think they are temperature activated. My dad has a similar truck (2WD) and gets the same as I do. We are in Alb NM @ 5000ft elevation, his got bad mileage after a sensor or something went wrong coming back from a trip to LA Stealer said it was with altitude change, not sure how that statement was but they fixed it under warranty (Thank for FORD ESP) its good now. Sorry to be long winded but my point is it turned out to be a $25 sensor. Does the truck do anything out of the ordinary, does it act up every so often or anything like that?
The only thing it has ever done was the usual cam sensor X2, and it smokes quite a bit when you first start it in the cold (we usually average in the winter 20 to 25 degees) but I think thats because its just cold, it still starts well. I have a video on youtube of it starting in 18F degree weather with no additives or being plugged in, but you can see what I mean when I say it smokes. here
is the vid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 96
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice truck. White smoke(if Im not mistaken) indicates air in the fuel line typical when it sits over night especially in the cold. Sometimes when it gets really cold Ive heard of guys draining the fuel filter bowl because when air is in the fuel line its really hard to start and sometimes on first start they die out in cold. I have good friend at the local dealer out here he use to be on the assembly line working on these engines Ill give him a call monday to see what he thinks. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
economy, fuel, mileage, mpg, poor

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors