Electrical/Wiring Issues --- truck keeps dying! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electrical/Wiring Issues --- truck keeps dying!

Ok here goes...my truck is starting to piss me off lately.
A month or so ago I went out one morning to head to work. Turned the key forward and all the dash/pillar gauges go crazy and there's a rapid relay clicking (#303 I think) coming from the fusepanel under the dash. I tried cranking the motor and it would start and run for about 5 seconds and then die like I had turned the key off. I kept cycling the key until I didn't hear the clicking anymore and then it would fire up and run like normal. It would do this to me almost every morning, but would eventually stop and go back to normal. It would usually be fine for the rest of the day.

Now just two weeks ago I went through the whole routine of cycling the key until the clicking would stop and then started driving. I was stopped at a stoplight and was holding down on the brakes harder than normal and my truck just shuts off right there at the stoplight. Lucky me, the light turns green right as that happens and I'm sitting in the middle of the road for about 5 minutes before I can get it started again. I have also noticed that rolling down the windows will also cause the truck to simply turn off. I am assuming that holding the brakes and rolling down the windows are over-taxing something. It has also recently been giving me issues with running the stereo with the headlights on. The stereo works fine with the headlights off, but when the headlights come on the stereo turns off. Prior to this happening I had never had any issues with running the stereo with the lights on.

I've been looking up if other people have had this problem and the majority of issues that result in this have been dead batteries/bad battery connections/bad wiring or blown fuse #22. I had my batteries tested and one was 50% charged and the other 70% with no bad cells. I went ahead and bought two new ones anyways and that seemed to fix the problem for only a day or two. So I went back and cleaned all the battery terminals and connections really well to see if that would help, and it didn't. I also checked fuse #22 and it is good.

The last straw came last night when I rolled down the window and my truck shut off again. This time it was like my batteries had been disconnected: no lights, no door chime, absolutely nothing. I had to wait about 10 minutes until I heard something start coming back to life in the fusepanel before it magically started working again and I was able to turn on the truck and get it parked.

I know that I need to check all the wiring running from the batteries but I haven't had the time to do it myself. I also don't want to do that until I've heard other input from people on what to check first. So if anyone has any experience with this or knows what's wrong PLEASE let me know because this is driving me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check this connector out ->POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL CORROSION if your truck is like mine......
Old 02-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

id check all the main connections and make sure they are tight......batt, alt, etc, check grounds for corrosion, etc first before diving into wiring problems. iffy grounds can cause symptomatic problems like this.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Thank you! I checked mine and it was corroded completely through. Put a new connector on one end and problem solved.

Now I just need to sort out my stereo issue because it was still shutting off when the headlights were on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.