Brake lights stopped workin? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake lights stopped workin?

So to start my day off i locked my keys in my truck today. I had an ex military guy i know come and get it open with a slim jim but it took him about 30-40 minutes so i was pretty proud of that but for the rest of the day i've been buildin fence and cuttin trees down and gettin to the top of the property is no cake walk. I got to the top of the hill and my girl was behind me on the 4 wheeler noticed my brake lights werent workin? Gettin up there the truck takes some pretty rough bums so could i have knocked something loose? They DO work when my lights are on but with the lights off and the truck runnin i have no brake lights?

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

That makes no sense. Does your third brake light work or is that out too? Check your switch on the pedal and make sure you have power on one side and that the switch is closing when you push on the pedal. From there it goes up through the turn signal switch to the back except for the 3rd brake lamp skips the turn signal switch. Some of the F-150's have problems with the connector coming loose on the back of the turn signal switch and you will loose turn signals and brake lights. If my memory serves me right they use a very similar plug on the back of your switch. The wires also like to pull out of this connector.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:35 PM
assistant director

my tabs broke on the turn signal plug in the steering column my X and came unplugged and my lights quit. Zip tied it back together
Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseldoctor View Post
That makes no sense. Does your third brake light work or is that out too? Check your switch on the pedal and make sure you have power on one side and that the switch is closing when you push on the pedal. From there it goes up through the turn signal switch to the back except for the 3rd brake lamp skips the turn signal switch. Some of the F-150's have problems with the connector coming loose on the back of the turn signal switch and you will loose turn signals and brake lights. If my memory serves me right they use a very similar plug on the back of your switch. The wires also like to pull out of this connector.
hmm, i'll have to look into that tomorrow on my day off. If im thinkin right though i dont remember seein anything plugged into my brake pedal? Only my gas pedal? But i'll trust the mechanic
Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Take a look up a little higher. It's right by where the rod comes through the firewall for the master cylinder.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Take a look up a little higher. It's right by where the rod comes through the firewall for the master cylinder.
ok i found it, wiggled it around, made sure it wasnt loose. But still nothin, ALL my other lights do work, turnin signals etc.. Does that point it in any direction?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Problem solved!! I got to thinkin and i had just wired in a bar light on the back of the truck and apparently it was pullin to many amps for the fuse so it popped. It was the only 20amp fuse in the box? So i swapped it for a 30 and everythings good
Old 02-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke Techie

DON'T INSTALL LARGER FUSES IN YOUR TRUCK. You WILL burn up the fuse box if something shorts out. I've seen it done before. Just go back to the stock size and if it pops again then start looking for the short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.