P1247 - Someone please help!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P1247 - Someone please help!!!!

Hello,

I own a 2001 Excursion 7.3. Problem started about week and a half ago, I was driving on highway getting off on exit ramp and truck started shaking. Though I had a flat. As I sit for traffic yield, I realize that I definitely do not have a flat, rather absolutely no power. I pulled into a parking lot, put in park and she revved up to normal. Started driving back home, and it started again. Did about 35 all the way home.

Had the codes scanned and came back P1247: MFR CNTRL FUEL AIR METERING. I couldn't find anything pertaining to this code for my truck. However, the only P1247 code I found was Turbo Boost Pressure Low. I went through everything I could think of, including swapping out MAP sensors and checking the the MAP tube. Took everything apart hoping to find the problem, but no luck.

Today, after cleaning everything; pipes, boots, etc., it started up rough, but then revved up to normal. I started driving down the street, and about two blocks away, it bogged down and lost all power again. I floored it, but nothing...no RPM's.

Sorry for the long post, but I am tired of dealing with this issue. Been without my truck for a week. Luckily, we live on base, so I don't have to walk that far to work!! Anybody ever experience this before? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

R/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check this out:

OBD II Code P1247 ?'s Mfr Cntrl Fuel Air Metering - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Turbo code may be due to inadequate exhaust pressure to drive turbo when you stepped on the throttle. The problem may not be that. Powerstokes are very notorious for throwing other codes when a problem results. The reason is that if one component fails momentarily or keeps failing it throws off other component readings causing them to flag. Going down the road and everything starting to shake at idle and low rpms but smoothingout under high sounds like,,, you are loosing injectors but eratically. Meaning that your harness (underneath valve cover) is blown or the prongs on the harness have burnt. This harness is also the valve cover gasket. The gasket is made with wiring inside it. The mating end to your harness from the ECM plugs into it beneath the valve cover. If the prongs get burned or the wiring on the inside burn into it will send mixed signals to the injectors causing an out of balance condition on the engine. When you raise the rpm it will continue to get less until you reach a higher rpm then it begin to smooth out. This happens because the faster the rpm the closer the firing pulses are and this allows the engine to run smoother at a reduced horsepower. Unfortuantely the only real way you can check this is with a scanner by doing a injector pulse test or pulling the valve cover and doing a visual inspection. if you do one you may as well do the other. Around 100 per side if you do it yourself.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sexton 81,

Try this. With the truck in it's limping configuration (check engine light on, engine loping erratically while running) carefully wiggle the under valve cover harness connection right at the valve cover where the wires enter the valve cover on the side of the engine that's missing (you'll hear it, it's very obvious. The live side clatters, the dead side just makes mechanical noise with no combustion/injector noise). wiggle the harness right where it goes into the valve cover. Wait a split sec and presto, the thing should come back to life. If that's the problem, don't bother just getting the harness without the gasket as the problem is probably the double female in the gasket itself.

while you're in there, examine the large cannon plug (42 pin?) on the drivers side valve cover, the one that rests right on the valve cover. If your engine has a slight miss, chances are one of the injector wires is grounding out on the bottom of that harness to your metal valve cover.

May the force be with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.