engine stalls when wipers move?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine stalls when wipers move??

I did an engine swap a while back and everything went smoothly and ive had no problems. other than when it rained i kept getting an intermittent studder from the engine that would happen randomly and unpredictably. only throwing the cel every once in a while. i kept thinking it was moisture in one of the sensors cuz of the rain or something so i checked them all and all were clean and connected well. then i realized it wasnt the rain, it was actually happening as the windshield wipers got power to move. just for that instant. it usually happens when they are on the intermittent setting but its always random and doesnt do it every time. the only reason i thought of it is another person on this forum had the same problem and changed his CAS and it fixed it. well i have a new CAS and its still doing it. almost like ur turning the engine off for a 1/2 second which just skips if your driving but if your sitting still in drive it will actually die... any suggestions because im completely stumped???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 AM

I'd like to know the answer to this one because I have a friend who's engine stumbles in unison with his turn signal blinker. He is stumped also. Sounds like they could be related.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's an interesting discussion on this,,,,

Stumbles when it rains??
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM

ill try and see if i got the wrong one Cps from ford.. ill try to call the dealership and see what they say
Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's everything you'd want to know about CPS

Black, Grey, & Dark Blue Cam Position Sensor Perdels Test - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Old 02-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bad or broken grounds are notorious for backfeeding current through areas where it should not be. Look for grounds in the area of concern ie. wipermotor wiring circuit ect. Example if you have ever noticed one tail light that blinks when you turn the other side on or go to step on the brakes and the tail lamp goes out, most generally it is always the ground wire broke and it is having to back feed in order for the current to find a ground and by doing so it has to energize another component to find the ground. In you case it may be back feeding through the ignition system. and in the other gentlemens vehicle whose friends does the same thing when he turns on the blinker, probably same issue but his in in the ciruit in the steering column.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 AM

after reading that post i went ahead and ordered a black cps from a website i found... i have the grey one now and what i took out was a grey one. gonna try a black one and see how that works out for me. my old engine never had this problem and was running the grey sensor im sure. this problem started the day that i did the engine swap...

btw i just did a XLE4 to PMT1 computer swap cuz mine is an early 99.. WORLDS OF DIFFERENCE! was having a hard shifting problem and it felt sluggish. definately drives like a whole new truck. that XLE4 did have like 5 diff types of programmers switched back and forth on it so it might have been ruined somehow
Old 02-22-2011, 02:59 PM

To followup this question I installed the BLACK CPS from International today. Bought it off of riffraffdiesel.com for around 40 or 50 dollars... not only did it cure my issue with randomly stalling when the wipers moved. It also made the truck idle smoother and seem to have better throttle responce. And that was over a BRAND NEW grey sensor from ford. Weird how 2 things that aren't even related can affect eachother...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.