Join Date: Dec 2008
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ongoing '02 stuttering/shutting off'/hard crank issue
Well the saga continues.....starting 6 to 8 months ago the follow issues have taken place...
1. Truck starts to buck or shuts off, but would start back up
Ford place replaced CPS uder factory recall, runs great for about 2 months..
2. Truck starts to buck or shuts off, but would start back up
Ford find broken wires is some harness + finds ICP to be failed, repaired harness and replaced ICP (598.00)....trucck continues to have intermittent bucking plus now will occassionally just stall out during idle, like the key was turned off. Scanner by ford 2 or 3 times over next 2 months....ford states that there are no codes and cant replace anything without a direction or error code.
3. Tuesday morning enroute to work, truck bucks 3 seperate times, with the 3rd time being the hardest, and it acyually set a code and turned on the check engine light. Ford scanned and it showed CPS error, Ford was hesitant to replace since it was recently replaced under recall, and they stated that they have never had a "new" CPS fail....they eventuall replaced CPS again.
At this time, the lead diesel mechanic asked me if I had been experiencing any "cold start issues" , when I asked why, he stated that there was also a fault/error code for the IPR and he mentioned several reading associated with the IPR . he said that it needed to be "14" but mine was reading "9"...he went on to indicate that this could lead to a slow/no start condition and recommended that I replace the IPR and the HPOP....I declined until I could do some research....
This winter I have had to deal with the hard start condition that he mentioned, sympton were as follows.
Note...Batteries are new
1. Turn on key and allow glow plug light to cycle
2. Starter would engage and sound/feel like normal cranking conditions
3. If truck failed to start immediatly, the starter/cranking would slow down as if it "switched to a lower gear".
4 I would re-cycle the glow plugs until light is off, and try again, starter/cranking spools up to "normal" unless the truck failed to start quick and then slows down.
5 may take up to 5 times to get truck to fire off, but when it does start engine runs great with the excepthion of the truck still stalls at idle every now and then
With all the above info...is the IPR a direction I need to look into with the readings of 9 vs 14???? is the procedure hard to replace IPR hard??? does the HPOP really need to be replaced??? while I'm replacing the IPR???? or was this just an attempt to "bleed" me even more while trying to locate this continuing hard start/stalling during idle????
any input or advise would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by slayerf250; 02-03-2011 at 08:41 AM.