01 7.3 I just bought. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 02:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 7.3 I just bought.

I had a 99 7.3 for a few years but sold it this summer because the wife didn't like the 6 speed. Just got a 2001 from a guy who had it parked for a year, the starter was bad and it didn't start like it used to without being plugged in. Has a banged up left door and only has 112000 miles though. I took the starter off, it's a Nippendenso ( 3 bolt mounting). Had a broken plug on the small wire into the housing and bad brushes but was told it's cheaper to get a new starter. Got it on yesterday and charged up the batteries, but it's pretty noisy when it turns over, like there isn't enough clearance to the flywheel. Can't really see how to shim it differently unless putting something in the 2 bottom holes. I also notice it has a 13 tooth pinion and one from NAPA I loked at had 12.
Also found a bad glow plug relay. Replaced it and the fuel filter and a new K&N air filter. Even in my 60 degree shop it starts awful. Need to cycle glow plugs 2 or 3 times to get it to go. When it starts it surges and the service engine light flashes. Seems really unresponsive to the throttle compared to my 99. I haven't even had it out on the street yet or had a scanner hooked up. Is the fuel maybe bad? It has 1/4 tank and it looks OK. Can't get it to siphon out. Where s the best place to drain the tank? I took a line off the side of the fuel filter and put a hose on it to get some out but the fuel pump shuts off afer 15 seconds or so. Also, when putting the line back on the rubber seal leaked, so I tightened it a little and the fitting going into the filter canister broke off!May need to cut the nut to get the fitting off the line.
I haven't worked much on Ford trucks. I have a tractor repair shop (31 years)and work on diesels all the time, but this electronic stuff is another story!
I imagine I'm looking at glow plug or wiring issues, seems like the valve cover wiring is a pretty common problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Personally, before you replace anything else, I would get the TC's off it so you have an idea whats wrong.

If you go to your local Autozone or VIP, they will usually scan it for free, even if they don't know the codes, get them and bring them back here to look up.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yeah, I would get the codes too. As far as dumping the tank, If you are persistent you can get a siphon hose into the tank through the filler neck. Obviously you will not get all the fuel out, but you will get most of it. Once you get most of it out you can mix it with a full load of fresh fuel and should be good to go. You might want to change the fuel filter after a few hundred miles though.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, I got the truck out of the shop and had the codes read, one is P1316, something about injector module? Where is this located and what can be wrong? Also had one about the air bag bulb burned out on the switch to turn off the passenger side air bag. I have the switch out and it looks like it's soldered in. Is there an aftermarket source for this switch? I tried Car Quest and NAPA and was told by both they can't get one. Also the 4X4 light in the dash isn't working, I pulled the dash pad out and got the socket and bulb out. Need to get some replacements. I also have a bad vibration on acceleration and found a bad Ujoint, and I mean bad! Wouldn't dare drive it much farther.
I tested the glow plugs and have .8 to 1.2 ohms on all 8, so at least they're OK. It seems to run good since I drained the fuel and put in some fresh with Stanadyne Fuel Additive.
The starter, I had a 2nd one sent to me because of the noise and it still made a racket. I had the spacer off the original starter on. I talked to the dealer of the starter and he wanted me to try the spacer they supply for the Nippendenso starter, It did quiet it down some, but I think it's still too noisy. He told me there are Chinese copies out there of Nippendenso starters. If it's a copy, they did a darn good job of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.