Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Knocking under drivers floor

15K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  fordmike1 
#1 ·
I keep hearing a knocking sound under my feet when turning or going over bumps in the road. I think it's the sway bar bushings but someone told me they replaced theirs and still has the same issue. Is this a common issue and is there a resolution?

#3 ·
It could be your track bar mounting bolt, it needs to be really torqued down good or it will make a "pop" or "clunk" sound when hitting bumps, going over speedbumps, or turning into driveways, etc.

My truck was doing this shortly after I installed my lift kit and once I retorqued the track bar bolt the clunking was gone!

#5 ·
I have same problem and tightened my track bar more, but no difference. It is an annoying issue.

#6 ·
I had an 01 f-350 that was doing that and it turned out the spring eye bushings in the front had wallered out and the slack was causing the bump.....this after just a few months with the new lift and bushings... rough country. Anyway i bought a set from energy suspension..that didnt fit ...milled them down to where they would press in and rocked on , problem eliminated. Energy Suspension later told me they didnt make a set for the diesels , but the turned ones were still holding great when i sold it.

#7 ·
It is probably worn out track bar bushings. My 04 made the same noise, sounds like someone hammering on the bottom of the cab right under the pedals. I took out the track bar friday and sure enough the bushings were ovaled out. The new ones will be here monday. Had to get aftermarket polyurethanes because ford and all the other parts places only sell the entire track bar for about 100. New bushings cost 26.

#8 ·
My 99 and a friends 99 both do the same thing. If anyone has any other success or input please contribute! I'll be checking mine out after brakes.

#9 ·
i had an 03 and it constantly started knocking under the floorboard under my feet. Turned out it was the ball joints. As far as under the seat, Ive heard the cab bushings could be pinched or worn or something.

#10 ·
Mine is doing it and found the sway bar bushings are bad (not the links). Place your hand over the sway bar bushing so you are touching the bushing and sway bar at the same time and have someone rock the truck side to side. If the bushings are bad, you will be able to feel the sway bar moving inside the bushing. My bushing look fine just looking at them but when I checked them by hand, they are junk.

#11 ·
I had the same problem and I replaced the sway bar end links and problems gone. It feels just like someone is right under your feet hitting the floor and it almost feels like the floor even moves a little. I am betting on the sway bar end links for the win here.
Got mine from Ford and they were very affordablely priced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.