Only will start with starting fluid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Only will start with starting fluid

My 99 7.3 will not start in the morning after a cold night. I plug it in at night but in morning I turn the key to on, wait till relay kicks off, then try to start. No luck. After a few minutes of trying smoke comes out from under hood (like exhaust or something). The only way to start is to spray a little starting fluid. I know this is not good but what other choice do I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 03:36 PM

when is the last time you changed your fuel filter?
oil? oil filter?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:39 PM

I just got it last weekend. The oil was just changed he said. I have no idea on the fuel filter. It runs after fluid spray, so wouldn't that eliminate filter? I'm new to this, it's my first diesel.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

See if you can notice a current draw when plugging it in. Feel the engine around the block heater to confirm operation after having it plugged in for a couple hours. Jump the two large posts on the glow plug relay. Notice if there is a current draw and start engine after jumping for 30 seconds.
It is sounds like the block heater is dead. Glow plug problems could be 1. relay 2. glow plugs 3. glow plug connections.
It should start with either the block heater or the glow plugs working.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:45 PM

glow plugs or not, it shouldn't take minutes to start. what have the temps been? make sure when you do use starter fluid that you disarm the glowplugs. I'm still trying to figure out the smoke. change your fuel filter because you should do that anyway. check oil just to make sure.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 PM

How old are the batteries? I was having trouble with mine - changed the batteries (yes, both of them) - no more problems even with single digit temperatures. I was told that this engine needs to turn at some minimum speed before it will start, my old batteries just weren't up to the job.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM

A few days ago I walked out to my truck and same thing... I did not use starting fluid though, not taking any chances! I just drove another vehicle. I have a 2000 F350 Crew cab long bed 6spd manual. I knew the night before it was even colder so it didn't make sense. So I went and got my ohm meter and it was way low when I touched it to the prongs on the cord. I moved the cord around and it jumped up, I figured out that the wires were no longer connected to the prongs on the end. I assume its from people pulling on the cord to disconnect the heater rather than the plastic end. A new cord is 120 bucks from ford! So I bought a universal end from Lowes to fix the problem. So check your cord, thats at least a starting point. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 PM

I don't disable the gp's when I use the starting fluid. How do I? It has been around 26 in the mornings when I start. I have no other vehicle so starting fluid is my only way to work. It hasn't damaged anything yet. Still, I do not want to use it. It looks like it has a new relay on it. (FYI)
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM

are you sure the block heater is working? you may need new GPs. changing the fuel filter would bea good idea whether thats the problem or not.
you can disconnect the GR relay to disable the GPs
Old 01-25-2011, 07:09 PM

Find a scanner to check ICP while cranking. Blown injector O-rings can cause a no-start as well as a glow plug issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.