00 7.3L Supercharger noise ???? not Good... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Gunny Rapp USMC
Exclamation 00 7.3L Supercharger noise ???? not Good...

YES! I know the PSD Does NOT have a Super Charger....... but if you read on you will see why I used that description....

Okay So Im a Newbie here with the PSD Forums.... after being raised around PSD's since 94 and the old IDI diesels I finally bought my own... a 00 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed... I own a repo company and am going to turn it into a "Sneeker Truck" (yea already had frame Fully boxed in to add strength)...

Anyways a little back ground info on the truck before I get to the Issue Im having.

00 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat
Auto 4x2
271K miles on ODOM.
(Brand New FORD Installed Motor AND Trans..... Done before I got it... With paperwork VIN matched to the truck to verify it did go in my truck) 15K on New motor and trans.

Paid 5K for it...

Okay the issue Im having is I bought the truck and First off spent 1100 in new shocks and tires all the way around, plus an inner tie rod end...new Air Filter

Truck had a whining noise Under the hood at all times... ( which I knew was the P/S Pump... but there was a dual pitch noise also... spent 500.00 to have the PSP replaced and that got rid of the obvious noise of the PSP even though it was full of fluid when making the noise.

But the other noise still remains... I know the whistle of the Turbo rather well, but the other noise I cant figure out sounds like a whine noise that IS RPM dependent.... and the best way i can Describe it is it seems as if the truck has a Supercharger on it instead of a turbo. that same whine...its ever so slightly present at idle but if you listen you can hear it. more pronounced when driving. NO DTC's throwing, Turbo Boost is still great, just had oil changed, no issues there. there is still the whistle of the turbo On top of this noise when its boosting... so there is two separate noises now... when in the boost.

I dont know what else to say... if you need more info please ask.... Im just at a dead end.

Last edited by Gunny Rapp USMC; 01-22-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey man i have an 03 ex w 7.3 PSD and it does the same thing and all that i could find out is that it is the wastegate. it dosnt sound like anything else i was told made sense. i was told maybe an up pipe is bad or a clamp was leaking but i dont think that is it. the wastegate is the only thing that makes sense. but i havnt been told what it is with the wastegate to make it happen or make that noise.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

okay if its the waste gate, then is it internal or is it the vacuum actuator or what can i look for to find out? is there a fast way to test it and find out?

I see that the waste gate actuator is adjustable... is there a way to adjust it and clear it up?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I heard that it could have been the Idler pulley ( replaced at 125.00) still same sound...

Disconnected the Red Vac Line (90 deg. Nipple on the actuator end is fairly dry rotted... bad?) from the actuator and still making the same sound.... so Guessing not the actuator... but could be wrong...

NO Black marks on the back of the firewall so I doubt that there is an exhaust leak... I did find a few SMALL black spots on the up pipe where the clamp bolts to the turbo area. about the size of a quarter tear dropped shape... fatter end at the bolts ... im wondering what is the easiest way to see if I might have a crack or damage to the up pipe? another thing... all my "Cold" side pipes have some play in them, is this normal or should they be solid? wondering if I should start pricing a new silicone kit?

so far, Im looking at a possible:

Waste Gate Actuator
Turbo Piping Silicone Kit
Damaged/Leaking Up Pipe?

any thing else I might be missing?

Thanks for all the help... if it will help let me know and ill post pics of the exhaust burns.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Rapp USMC View Post
I heard that it could have been the Idler pulley ( replaced at 125.00) still same sound...

Disconnected the Red Vac Line (90 deg. Nipple on the actuator end is fairly dry rotted... bad?) from the actuator and still making the same sound.... so Guessing not the actuator... but could be wrong...

NO Black marks on the back of the firewall so I doubt that there is an exhaust leak... I did find a few SMALL black spots on the up pipe where the clamp bolts to the turbo area. about the size of a quarter tear dropped shape... fatter end at the bolts ... im wondering what is the easiest way to see if I might have a crack or damage to the up pipe? another thing... all my "Cold" side pipes have some play in them, is this normal or should they be solid? wondering if I should start pricing a new silicone kit?

so far, Im looking at a possible:

Waste Gate Actuator
Turbo Piping Silicone Kit
Damaged/Leaking Up Pipe?

any thing else I might be missing?

Thanks for all the help... if it will help let me know and ill post pics of the exhaust burns.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

is your fan clutch bad?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

None of the three things you listed sounds likely for the sounds you are describing (at least not the one I am thinking of.) I am assuming you are talking about a "supercharger whine" like a screw-type supercharger, not a whistle like a centrifugal.

If that is the case I would look over ALL of your accessories and fan clutch....everything. Idler pullies, alternator, A/C, water pump, etc. One thing you might be able to try is to take a long extension of something like that and put it against your ear and probe different areas listening for the sound. (Obviously be careful not to touch the belt or rotating parts) Something else you could do for a very short time is take the belt off and start it to see if it still makes the noise. (I wouldn't drive anywhere though because you won't have any hydro-boost for the brakes and the water pump isn't turning.) Start there and report back. Might give us a better idea where to start. Oh yeah...one more thing, manual or auto trans? Possible throw-out bearing? All mine that have failed except for one squeaked, but one did kind of make a whining noise, but went away when I pushed in the clutch.
-Aaron
Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

Oh yeah...also, the intake pipes normally have a bit of "wiggle" to them since just the boots hold them in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.