headlights 1st dim, then get bright ? ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
headlights 1st dim, then get bright ? ?

My 01 headlights are dim when i have the truck warming up in the mornings, for 10-15 mintues. Then driving down the road 1/2 mile or so in a 20mph zone, they will gain the brightness they should have. Not a flicker on / off thing,,,, but it takes a while for them to light up to full brightness ...

Is there something you guys know for me to check for this issue? I have new batteries,,,, everything else electrical is fin.

Thanks guys, RB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 AM

I know the alternator doesn't turn on for a few minutes or something like that when you first start up.Not sure how long for or if thats what you are seeing.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:27 AM

That sorts seems like the issue, a lower voltage to the headlights, then once off idle/warmup and driving with a few rpms, the lights gain full brightness or voltage and light up fine. Kind of a delay thing.

Thanks, RB
Old 01-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would suggest either your voltage reg isn't working correct. You got a bad ground that isn't making a pefrect connection till it warms up removing the moisture. I dont know if thats anything that can help. I have seen those happen.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 AM

It is normal not to see proper voltage output until the glow plugs turn off. This can take a few minutes. Depending on how cold it is out they stay on long after the wait to start light goes out.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:19 AM

This happens after I warm the truck for 10 minutes or so even when on the elec plug for a few hours, AND drive 4-500 yards down the road from my place. They brighten up quite a bit from the initial 'dim' illumination.

It's just friggin Agravating.... I finally stop all my oil leaks,,,,, then tranny goes out, so after new BTS tranny/new radiator/new cooler,,, the dayumm ICP goes out,,,CPS goes out,,,, an all along the headlight issue has had me a little flustered.

I wanna have my truck trouble free again.. any body know a halveazzed hungry Exorcist needing sum work ? ?

Thanks, Russ
Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like the voltage regulater to me also or you alt is starting to go out. My truck did this a little and I tried to get a alt rebuild kit but I couldnt find one for my alt so I took it apart and found out that the brushes were almost worn all the way out so I had to get a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.