Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Injectors questions

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Kayakn 
#1 ·
Had two injectors replaced. I noticed when i picked the truck up the motor sound louder than normal. The truck has never really ran correct since they put the new injectors in. The tech told me since I didnt want to replace all 8 that the two new ones would pick up the slack of the older ones and the truck would smooth out after the computer has recalibrated the fuel. So not knowing much about computers and powerstrokes i said ok. Now the truck started blowing white and blue smoke. (NEVER smoked before) So I called a tech out of town and told him what is going on. He said it sounds like a bent rod. Reason, all the oil was not sucked out of the cylinder before the injector was reinstalled. The new tech said a compression check needs to be done to determain the weak cylinder. The new tech also told me that there is know need to replace all the injectors at once even if the truck only has 260,000miles. What should I do, what are your thoughts?

#2 ·
I think someones trying to screw you. a rod bending in our trucks? ya, k even tuned on 600 ponies, i doubt it. an injector isnt gonna pick up the slack of the others, considering its in an entirely different cylinder and is direct injected. even if it was in a port like a normal car. depending on how much work your willing to do, i would match the part numbers and make sure they are the same, maybe wrong injectors? that just seems wrong. i'v never replaced injectors on either of my 99's. i know dealerships have WAAAY advanced diagnostic systems and can tell you easily. any way to data log? something sounds funny here. have you done routine maintenance? fuel filter etc... otherwise i would say the rest of your injectors are bad.

#3 ·
It is possible to do internal damage if you fail to purge the cylinders after an injector swap. The possible damage is due to hydrolocking and its an insane amount of pressure. That being said, it is very difficult to diagnose something like that over the phone and most likely your truck would not be running right now.

As far as replacing single injectors goes, you can change individual injectors that are failing. However, if they are all getting weak, it is a good idea to bite the bullet and get a fresh set. The other ones are most likely nearing failure as well. As mentioned above, it is one injector directly feeding one cylinder.

Given the knowledge level you have expressed about the engine in your truck, you should probobly find a reputable mechanic that you can trust. Or if you have the time and are mechanically inclined, work with some of the trustable mechanics on this site that willing to step you through the problem.

#4 ·
I turned wrenches for Cat about 15 years ago. I have the tools, just not all the electronic gadgets for modern day trucks. As far as maintenance goes on my truck, the oil gets change every 4000 miles, fuel filter every other oil change, and a clean k&n every oil change. The truck looks almost like new. Since i picked the truck up from the two injectors being put in it, it almost sounds like it has a cam in it. It's just not as smooth running as it was before the injectors went out. Now the truck is smoking(blue/white) and it only done it yesterday while it was idling. Once i strated down the road it cleared up and didnt smoke again. To me it sounds like a cylinder is get loaded with fuel. I havent cranked the truck today to see what it may do. When the truck is running the unburnt fuel in the air will burn your eyes. It has a very strong fuel smell also. Coming from the exhaust ofcourse. I think I just need to put some injectors in the dang thing. But thats the next problem. I have called Bean and one other company about rebuilt injectors. They dont answer, ive called them many times and the phone rings and rings. I leave messages and get no call back. So its time to move on and find another company. Who do you guys recommend for injectors and some sort of customer service?? What about Diesel Performance Plus home

#5 ·
'They' say that if you have 3 or less bad injectors to just replace the ones that are bad. Once you have 4 bad, you may as well replace them all. So, no worries there.

Yes, not purging cyls of oil/fuel can cause damage, but I doubt that is the problem.

I'm leaning one of two ways. I'm thinking either pinched injector o-rings. Or loose connection in the UVCH.

Last question... how far have you driven the truck since the injectors were replaced? Depending on how you drive, it can take up to 100 miles for all of the air to get worked out of the system and for everything to be back to 'normal'.

#6 ·
I have put around 5000miles on the truck since the two injectors were changed. What is the UVCH? Would a pinched Oring let fuel into the oil ? When they changed the injectors they didnt change the oil in the pump that drives the injectors. I noticed after a few days of driving the truck i had fuel in the oil. So I change the oil, drove the truck around 500 miles and changed the oil again. That seemed to clean it all out. I really hope im giving you guys enough info to help me out. I cant seem to find a local tech that is truely and mechanic and not a dang parts changer.

#7 ·
UVCH is Under Valve Cover Harness...

It is the wiring harness that goes through the valve cover gasket to power injectors and glow plugs. They are notorious for working loose on the inside. If the mechanic didn't get it snapped back together well it would be the issue.

Usually with bad orings you will wind up with bad oil consumption. The oil at the injector is under much higher pressure than the fuel, so it would be difficult for fuel to get into the oil. Do you know where the replacement injectors came from? It is possible that you got a bad stick.

I'm not sure what to tell you man... where are you located. It sounds like you need to get the truck hooked up to a scanner that can run injector tests and see what is going on there. A compression test probably wouldnt be a bad idea either.

#8 ·
Both UVCH's have been replaced and the injectors came from the local ford dealer. Im in Bossier Louisiana. We have a couple of shops that say they can work on them but all you see is a shop full of bolt on's going on. What about Diesel Performance Plus home??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.