annoying squeak/chirp noise please help!1 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
annoying squeak/chirp noise please help!1

okay so i bought my truck a couple months ago its a 2000 excursion two weeks after i bought it the alternator went bad so i replaced it. But every since i replaced my alternator i had a really loud annoying squeak/chirp from under the hood i was told it was the belt so i went out and bought a belt replaced it and it went away. Now a couple weeks after replacing my belt the chirp is slowly coming back. its not as loud as before yet but it seems like its on its way to being like it was again.It the most annoying sound i really want it gone any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check your idler pulley,had to replace mine. Also could be early signs of water pump failure. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^^ i would say Rescue48 nailed it on the head
Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 AM

I was thinking it could be one of those but the thing that confuses me is why would it go away completly when I replaced the belt if it was the idler or water pump? Then slowely start to come back after a couple weeks??
Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 PM

Buy and idler and swap it , if thats not it go get your money back. Had a freightliner that did the same thing , ate idlers up.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:49 PM

okay scagle i went out and bought an idler pulley today replaced it and it didnt make a difference at all so i returned it and bought a belt tensioner because my old one looked pretty worn. i replaced that and my chirp isnt really there at idle any more too loud but when i get on the gas a little bit its still the same. really weird i dont get it???
Old 01-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Damn. hate to see you keep throwin money at parts , is that still the new belt you are using ? Would have been pretty sure the tensioner would take care of the problem. Keep an eye on the water pump weep hole for leaks maybe your hearing the water pump bearing starting to go as previously posted. Does it do it all the time or just when the AC clutch is engaged ? Long shot but maybe the AC compressor is going , it runs in the defrost mode as well as AC
Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 PM

haha yeah it sucks i rather be throwing money into mods but the chirp is soo annoying it has to go.and yeah its still the new belt i got 3 weeks ago ever since i replace that it never got back to as loud as it was before but its still there especially like threw a neighborhood at like a5 around 1200 rpms. but when i was idling it i took a looked at the belt where it goes on the fan/water pump pulley and im thinking that might be my problem it looks loose and has maybe about 1/4in or a little more of play on the pulley it looks like its wobbling back and forth is it possible my belt is stretched and causing it to slip or something its prob a long shot but idk??
Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM

Sure sounds like the bearings in the water pump going if you have wobble in it. Surprised its not leaking though.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:38 PM

its not the actual pulley on the water pump thats wobbling it looks like the belt is sliding on the pulley idk kinda its hard to explain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.