Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ok another truck dies post.......lol

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  fordmike1 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so my truck just died driving on the I-17 at about 65mph and I started to pull over to the right shoulder and boom it came back to life WTF. So I get about 15 miles futher down the road and it does it again, the same thing. So now I think oh **** I am about an hour & half from home now what? I get about ten more miles down the road and it dies and it wont restart for about 10 mins. then it does and I get to where I am going and a half mile away. After about two hours it starts up and then dies again a few miles down the road. I sit for about 15 mins. it starts and I am able to drive it for 20 miles to Autozone to get a new cam sensor and I put it in right there and it starts right up. Well I got to the Ford dealer and picked up a ICP sensor becuse we scanned it and it came up with that code but the ICP sensor is pricey so I didnt install it yet becuse I wanted to see if it dies again and it did. Well I got it home and it died quite a few times getting it there and I went to a repair shop and they told me that it was still my cam sensor so I bought another new factory Ford one and the FN truck still dies but now it does it within two miles and it wont start againg for hours. So I out of the blue decide to disconnect the ICP wires and its full of oil and I thought what the hell this must be it and put the new ICP in and it still does the same thing it dies and it wont start for hours. Ok so here I am now with a truck that just sits in my back yard and has for almost a month and now I am ready to try and figure this thing out. If any one has any more ideas that I can check out please let me know Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Does anyone have any kind of thought on this that I could check? The truck is still sitting and any help would be great. Thanks Mike.

#4 ·
Nope. It was running great that day on the freeway and then it was just like I turned the key off. When it restarts it runs like nothing ever happened and then it will just die again. It has never run rough, sputtered, hesatated or anything. It just dies and wont restart for a little while. :dunno:

#8 ·
All the new CPS are from Ford. I put the orignal one back in and still the same problem. I checked out the wiring to the CPS and its all in great shape from what I could see.The connector is even in great shape.

#9 ·
Yea the truck has a 4" lift and the tires dont hit at all and the wheel well is still in original shape. I havent drove the truck in any rain or water in quite some time so I dont think the IDM is bad from any water. I do how ever think that the IDM is the source of all my problems but I have not confirmed it yet. I just got a good scanner and I am going to run my truck untill it dies and then do a injector buzz test on it and see if my injectors buzz and if not then I am going to suspect the IDM is bad.

#10 ·
I heard that there is a nut on the IPR that can come lose and cause problems and cause the truck to die. I dont think that this is it as it runs great while it is cool or cold but dies when it warms up and then restarts after it cools down again all the time no one has touched it. I do think that the IDM is the problem here. :dunno:

#11 ·
Ok I have some new info to share. I started the truck today and let it run for a few minuets and then did a KOEO test and the only code that came up was a waste gate code (my wastegate is disconnected). I did a KOER test and no codes present. I did a injector buzz test and all the injectors sounded the same and sounded good. So I started the truck up and let it run for about 10 minuets and rev'ed it up a few times and then let it sit for about 1 minuet and then it happened, it shut off. I quickly did a buzz test and all the injectors worked great again. I tried to start it and no start. I turned off the key waited a few seconds and tryed to start it and again no start so with the key still on I did another buzz test and all the injectors sounded great again so then I tryed to start it and no start. After waiting about 10 minuets I tryed to start it up again and still no start. I did do a data stream on it when it was running and the ICP showed about 490 PSI while at idle and shot way up when I hit the throttle. I did see a spike at 2k? but holding the throttle like we have to at emissions it showed 1460 PSI. I checked the fuel pump and it was running fine after the truck died and tryed it a few times to make sure that it came one every time and it did. So here I am and if anyone has any info on what I should check please let me know. Thanks Mike.

#12 ·
Ok so here is what I have found out now. After the truck dies and I am on the data screen with the scanner I crank the engine over and the ICP only shows that it has 176psi of oil pressure. From what I am told that the ICP needs to show that it has over 500PSI for the engine to start. Does the IPR need voltage to make higher oil pressure or does the IPR lose voltage to make higher oil pressure. In other words, Does oil pressure go up with voltage or does oil pressure go down with voltage applied to the IPR? I dont want to buy an IPR if its not getting the right voltage to it and what supplies the voltage to the IPR? The IDM or the ECM? is there any tests for the IPR or is there anything that I could or should do to the IPR to check it out?

#13 ·
#14 ·
My 2002 was doing that exact same thing. Let it run tell it dies then check your codes without turning the key off. Should have a code for IPR circuit. The solenoid at the end of the IPR valve fails when hot. You can either check the solenoid for ohms when its hot or spray it with brake cleaner to cool it down.

#16 ·
The truck has 175k on it. I did run the truck untill it died and pulled the codes with out turning it off. It did come up with a IPR code(1284) if I remember right. I tryed to restart it while on the data stream screen of the scanner and the IPR volts .24 seemed low to me while cranking and the IPR pressure was only at 176psi way to low to start the engine. So now I am woundering if it has a power supply problem or if it is the coil on the IPR that is bad :dunno:. Does anyone have a spare coil laying around that I could try?

#17 ·
Ok today I think that I have it all figured out. I ran the truck with the scanner hooked up and watched it untill it died. When it dies its so quick that the readings for the IPR dont change untill its dead and they just go to 0v & 0psi. I tried to restart it and I get nostart. So I took my garden hose and turned it on slow and stuck the end just above the IPR for about 5 minuets and the truck started right back up. So I let the truck run again untill it died and watched the scanner and again its so quick that the scanner doesnt show it declineing. I tried to restart the truck and no go. I let the truck sit for about a half hour and still no start. I am sure that the electrical part of the IPR is getting hot and dieing and that is my problem. I would like to get another IPR coil and just replace it and see if it cures my problem.

#19 ·
I got a IPR from another member and I am going to swap out the coils this weekend and see if that cures my problem. I will post up the results as soon as I get them.....Mike.

#20 ·
OK here is the deal. I picked up a used IPR from B+Barandgrill and I took the coil off of it and replaced the one on my truck with it and so far my truck has ran great. No more dieing. I have only run the truck around the neighbor hood for about 6-8 miles and it hasnt missed a beat. I just let the wife take off in it to go and get her nails done and she called and said that it ran great for her there and that she was going to go to the store when she is done. So I guess that I will see if she makes it back home but so far so good. Thanks Jody for letting me use the scanner and thanks Mike for giving me your old IPR to use for testing and thanks to everyone here for all the support and help that you have offered me in finding out my problem.....Mike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.