30 amp GPR Fuse Blowing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
30 amp GPR Fuse Blowing

I started the truck this morning and it ran for a few minutes then died. Cranked fine but wouldn't start. I noticed that the Wait to Start light was not working. Got out the book and ended up checking the #30 30amp fuse for the GPR and fuel heating element, which was blown. Replaced the fuse which blew again as soon as I turned on the key. Got online here right away and found several threads concerning the heating element, so I unplugged it, replaced the fuse, tried it and it blew again. Tried this several times...same thing. I'm pretty sure I unplugged the correct connection. Looking straight down from the top it's on the lower driver's side of the fuel bowl and has a wire clip. I did replace the stock GPR with a Napa 109 GPR a couple of weeks ago. I've heard of stock GPR's lasting only a few months, but two weeks? Anyway, is there any way to check the GPR without turning on the key? (which obviously blows the fuse.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rdrancher; 01-06-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The GPR is not fused (if it was it's be more like a 200A ) your problem is that the PCM isn't running (no WTS) and #30 is blowing because the fuel heater in the bottom of the fuel bowl is shorted. Make sure you're unplugging the right thing (unless the wire is shorted somewhere else) and replace the fuse and you should be good-to-go (in TX you'll NEVER need that heater)

The more I think about it, I don't see what else you could be already unplugging.....

This is the spot - right?
Attached Thumbnails
30 amp GPR Fuse Blowing-fuelbowl.jpg  

Last edited by NoRalPh; 01-06-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

NoRalPh - That photo is exactly what I needed. I was doing this in a dark garage with a flashlight and actually unplugged God-knows-what, down lower and more to the driver's side. She's outside idling right now. Thanks again!

rd
Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same problem. I live in St. Louis. Do I even need the fuel heater? Just curious if I would have to replace.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For Really cold temps (and MO is probably "iffy" for that) you might as well replace it but, I wouldn't think it'd be something you urgently had to do right away....
Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 AM

i dont even have a fuel bowl...i deleted it and put a spin on filter down on the frame rail...my truck has started at 20 bellow many times over the past 5 years and i never had trouble...just keep your fuel treated and you will be fine..
Old 01-13-2011, 01:12 AM

Why did you delete your fuel bowl? I would much rather have the fuel filter in a nice warm engine compartment than the frame rail. Then again its -10 degrees outside right now and god only knows what the windchill is.
Also would much rather change out a gelled up filter while standing up versus laying on my back.
Were you having air leakage problems or something?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 AM

less chances for any fuel leaks..I have a regulated return with my bowl deleted...there is no place for fuel to leak any more unless I blow one of my rubber lines... if you keep the fuel treated and the tank full it will not gel up on you..I have had my truck for 5 years with no bowl and I have been driving tractor trailer that has no fuel heaters at all for 20 years.. we get bellow 0 weather for a month strait day and night and knock on wood I have never gelled up...Ford put the heaters in the bowl for smog reasons..i guess you get a little less white smoke but i didnt see much of a differance

Last edited by Ron's power stroke; 01-13-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 AM

Yeah i was just wondering is all. I farm and feed cattle all winter long and none of the older tractors have fuel heaters either, but I dont like relying on the stations for blending my fuel. Dont trust them so i would much rather have a heater and have piece of mind i guess.
Two years ago I ordered 1000 gallons of 50/50 and both pieces of equipment i filled out of that tank gelled up within the hour and the pump filter was plugging up by the end of the fills, it was like running snot through the lines. No way it was 50/50 The fuel company (who will remain unnamed) would not correct or even acknowledge their mistake and they have not had my business since.

The reason behind the story is that if there is anything i can do to prevent other peoples mistakes (and they do happen) from wasting my time like running a fuel heater, im going to do it.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 AM

i dont trust them either thats why add a bottle of power servise to every fill up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.