Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2002 Dies when shut hood??

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  NoRalPh 
#1 ·
I went out after work today to start my truck and my batteries were dead, tried having a buddy jump start me but they were just too drained. I figured the alternator was bad so tonight I went back up to where I work and took a new alternator, hooked my quick charger up to the battery while changing the alternator and it started and then died, did this 3 times so I went up to the gas station and got 2 things of Diesel 911, dumped one in the tank and put the other half in the fuel filter and bleed the filter. Truck started right up and ran fine, un hooked the charger and shut the hood, when I shut the hood the truck died, started right back up so opened the hood again and shut it and it died again, right when I slam the hood shut. Started it back up, let it run a while and drove it home and had a buddy drive my wifes vehicle back. It ran fine all the way home and I pulled it in the garage right away and plugged it in for the night. Does anyone have any idea why it might have killed when I shut the hood? I do have an SCT chip but don't think the chip had anything to do with it but I am open to any suggestions. Thanks

#3 ·
see if somethings grounding out on the hood had same problem with my mustang

#4 ·
Thanks for the input, figured out what it was this morning, I opened the hood and started wiggling wires, I bumped the air filter and the truck died. It ended up being the "High Current" connector underneath the air filter was corroded. Got a temporary fix with my pocket knife, small vice grips, and a latex glove, will have to fix it right tonight. :thumb:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.