Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Sudden Loss Of Power

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Groesbeck 
#1 ·
I stopped to add diesel today when the needle hit E. I fill up 3/4 way. I start my truck to leave and instantly know something isn't right. The engine isn't as loud as normal and it's puttering. I hit the gas and it wants to bog. After several minutes the engine starts to make a constant knock as i can see the engine knocking. It seems as though it's not getting fuel. I turned the ignition off and could never restart. It wanted to turn over but wouldn't. Any thoughts; fuel pump (rare) ; High Pressure Oil System subsystem??? Inputs appreciated!

#3 ·
Sounds like you ran it out , sometimes it takes like 10 minutes to get the air out. Cycle key a bunch and restart

#4 ·
from a newbie, so for what it is worth, when you run the fuel down very low then the pump starts to pick up all the junk in the tank that was floating around. There is debris and water in the tank of even the best maintained system. If you are shopping at discount/low end fuel spots then you are more likely to get debris and other unmentionables in the fuel line. You could have also just purchased some bad fuel.

Drain off some of the fuel from the filter to hopefully remove water from the filter. Drive some and add some additives (lucas fuel treatment) to help break things down.

Of course, it could easily just be air in the fuel line and should clear itself up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.