Current draw question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Current draw question

Recently my 02 F250 starting getting very hard to start. I've got 2 optima yellow tops in it and after a night of sitting it's slow to start and after 4-5 days it needs a jump. I did a current draw test and found something was pulling 3A with the key off. I started pulling fuses and when I removed #19 (Body security module / 4X4 module) the current draw dropped to only a few milliamps. Interestingly enough, if I put fuse #19 back in and pull fuse #35 (Instrument cluster) the current draw goes away as well. So, if I pull either fuse, the current draw goes away.

Has anybody else had his problem? The fuses never blow so I know nothing is shorting. I'm pretty sure I've got a bad part somewhere I just don't know what part.

Thanks, in advance, for any ideas or assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you monitor the trucks draw, it takes some time for stuff to shut down long after you turn the key & shut the door but, 3Amps IS a lot!

Sounds like you've narrowed it down some though

If it was me, I'd pull #35 and see if you had a problem after it sits again (#19 is gonna always have some draw)

Also, how are you recharging those yellow tops after they die? Optima's don't like to be charged at too high a rate.... You can damage them by doing so.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. I never let them fully discharge. If they do get low enough to where the truck wont start I use a step charger to get the batteries back to par.

The 3A draw is far from normal. I let the truck sit for about 30 minutes before I started testing for the draw. What I find puzzling is that I can pull fuse 19 or 35 and the current draw disappears. It does not matter in what order I pull them or the draw is even further reduced if I pull them both, the current draw of 3A disappears if either fuse is pulled. It's not like one is drawing more current than the other either. The current draw is down to about 80mA when either 19 or 35 is pulled. I can't even tell how the two circuits are related.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It sounds like you are dealing with a relay problem with one of the circuits feeding power through a relay to run the idem. And the other circuit feeding power to the switch leg of the relay. I would try to find out what items are fed from the circuits involved and then try to find the location of relay for those items. If this is the right cause of the draw the relay should be good, because when you removed the power from the switch leg you didn’t have any draw anymore so you will then have to trace from that relay to find what is energizing or grounding it. I hope this helps and sorry for the late reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.