Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 towing sucks

20K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  icysmooth 
#1 ·
Hey so im new to the diesel world + this site and need some help....
I just bought a 2002 7.3 F350 4x4 crewcab long bed 93*** miles and its a big upgrade from a 150 for towing but i just towed my fork lift (6000lbs + trailer 1200lbs) to a job site and i was not so happy with it. I was cruzin at 55 then hit a little hill and dropped to 40mph real quick then pretty much had to floor it to keep the 40 goin. Then i got to the job and it was a pretty steep hil but not to crazy and going up was a strugle (15-20mph at 2900rpm) I expected the truck to pull the weight way better??? has any one had any problem like this? little more detail the truck is lifted on 35" tires with a 3:73 gear thought it could lose some low end grunt but lose all of it i would hope not. I read some people tow their 40' 5th wheels on 37" tires and 3:73 gears no prob so figured mine would be ok. I didnt have a boost gauge so i dont know what the boost was but now i got one and with no load i see 19lbs dont know if it matters but mor info the better. NEW cam position sensor NEW ICP and NEW IPR valve so what could caust the truck to tow so poorly?

please help ant leads would be somewhere to start thanks

#12 ·
well your boost sounds fine, i dunno where to start but somethin dont sound right, mine wasnt that much of a dog at all stock, but way better with tunes for sure man.

#16 ·
Fuel filter maybe?

#18 ·
mine will pull my trailer no problems in the lowest setting on tuner.(8k lbs+ loaded down) we dont have very many steep hills here though, but i am sure it would go no prob.

#19 ·
Yeah,something doesn't sound right.

Are all your filters and oil level up where they should be?

Are any brake calipers hanging up?

I had 3 do this on me-then totally flushed system after replacement:doh:

I was pulling 10,000 lbs stock better than that WITH a half-clogged catty and 108,000 miles.

Mine actually ran better (with tunes now and at higher altitude) haven't figured that out yet :tard:

#21 ·
With all mods named in sig- I can pull 10,000 + with no problems at all-even in the mountains-and can push over 27 lbs boost(with boost fooler),but let off to stay at 24 lbs max-don't want a new turbo yet:hehe:--oh and smoked a couple duramaxs' as well:hehe::hehe:

60-85 mph--no problems-even up hills :thumb:

Find out what's wrong,and you will never go back to a gasser:nod:

Some one else will chime in with some more and/or better ideas/facts to help you get this worked out:thumb:

There's a lot of knowledge with these guys on here:crazy:

#22 ·
well something may be clogged or something but you do have highish gears and 35"s and a stockish 7.3 try fuel filter, clean the filter and screen in the FPR on the side fuel bowl, unplug your ebpv and see if their is any difference. tunes will really hold you though. what etgs are you running? 19lb boost at wot?

#23 ·
So good news wastegate is my prob... I went and bought a scan tool eventho I didn't have a CEL I checked and found a P1249 wastegate performance under boost os something so took the wastegate off tightened it up and now it pushes 24 lbs and runs great. Thanks everyone for ur help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.