Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Am I just getting tired

914 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Maxont 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 f-350 7.3, It has 360k on the odometer. I live in okla, so we dont get real cold hear for long amounts of time. Lately I have been having to plug my truck in at night. If I dont it always starts but seem yo be missing on one cylander. I have replaced both solenoids for preheat but that didnt seem to help. The engine has had regular oil changes and maintence and is well taken care of. I had heard at one time that these engines (injectors) need to be O ringed. What is that and will it help,can I do it myself. I have plenty of mechanical ability but not too much knowledgable on diesel. Or is my engine just getting tired and worn out. Thanks for reading my post a helping me out.
Scott

#2 ·
Drain your fuel bowl into a glass container using the lever at filter housing an check the color-just have a friend help,one to drain,one to catch:hehe:

See if it's regular diesel color and not dark-if dark or black in color,o-rings are going out probably.

Are you using oil as well between changes?

#3 · (Edited)
If it feels like its missing or has a chopping sound at idle when its cold you have one or more injectors dead. I had the same symtoms as you are having so i pulled mine out and sent them off to rosewood. 4 of them were completly shot. Removing and reinstalling the injectors is very easy if your a decent garage mechanic. 500 bux for a stock overhaul on all 8 of them at rosewood diesel. If you dont want to go that far your gonna need to find someone that can scan your truck to tell you which incjector is bad. One new injector is around or over $300. pm me if you need some help.

---------------

If you dont want to go this far there are articles on the net about testing glow plugs/injectors on your own. you could also make sure that the fuel bowl heater is working. You can also do a fuel and oil pressure check. HPOP could be bad? i dont know a ton of specifics but these are all easily looked up on the web. Make sure your fuel filter is new/clean along with the air filter. If you dont have a Black cam sensor from international you need to get one. They remove most of the problems with the #8 cylinder that the grey one just doesnt do. Honestly theres lots of different things that could be wrong but injectors with higher milage are most likely the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.