Vehicle Security Module?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vehicle Security Module??

I purchased a 2003 7.3 last month and the door ajar light was illuminated on the dash. Didn't think much about it...figured it was a sticking door sensor switch. I did the wd-40 trick in all of the latches. No luck. Tried the process again. Still no luck. I finally break down and take it to a dealer and pay them $80 to do an electrical diagnosis. They kept the truck nearly 4 days. Long story short - they said that it looked like somebody (a previous owner or mechanic) had replaced the Vehicle Security Module with an improper VSM. My truck is a 4x4 crew cab Lariat...they said maybe that VSM came from a 2-door XLT. They said several wires leading to it had been cut and the others were spliced into it. They said their computer was reading all sorts of codes. They said that VSM was only showing the truck had two doors. They said it would be significantly more money to further diagnose this problem and they said if the dome lights are the only thing that doesn't work, then just live with it. I could live with it, but it sucks to not have dome lights when we are trying to load up three car seats in the back seat in the dark and I hate seeing the red idiot light on the dash all the time. I also cannot get the truck to enter program mode for the keyless entry remotes. They said these problems both run through the VSM. I am so disgusted with these issues that I am contemplating getting rid of the truck on getting something else. Has anybody had experience replacing the VSM? Where is it located? How easy is it to access? How much does a new VSM cost and can I install myself? They said they had the whole dash removed and of course I couldn't go back in the Ford shop to see what was happening due to insurance and shop policy. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The VSM (Vehicle Security Module) is to the right of the accelerator pedal above the transmission hump below the radio. You will see it there with I think 3 plugs going into it. If it is what they said it should be easy to spot with the wires being cut and all. You have to look from underneath looking up.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hmmm...well that is interesting. Why would they need the whole dash out if it was that easy to access...of course they could have been blowing hot air at me. Do you know if you can get this part from one of the online parts retailers or am I going to have to give my firstborn son for it at a dealership? Do you know if he pin diagrams or schemetic for the module is available online anywhere? I am out of town for a few days, but will look at the VSM when I get back on Wednesday. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry, I wouldn't know where you could find any of that information except maybe the dealer. I just kno where it is. I also do not know if you can change it without removing the dash but u can definitely see it. I'll put a pic later.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Banned

My door ajar light has been on ever since we bought the truck. Ford wanted like $800 to replace the VSM... I'm just going to deal with a light being on. Everything else works fine..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.