Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Coolant leaking out of valve cover

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Southpaw 
#1 ·
I have been chasing a coolant leak for a week or so. I found and fixed leaks in three different places so far (t-stat housing, heater core connections, and flushing tee I installed). It is still leaking and I traced it as high as I could. It looks like it is leaking out of the valve cover on the passengers side and leaking down onto the exhaust manifold. The heater hoses that run above this are bone dry. This is as high as I can find coolant leaking. What could be the cause of this? Is there freeze plugs under the VC? What can expect to find here? Thanks Guys

See less See more
#3 ·
Theres no coolant in the oil from what I can tell, but I can't find find the leak source from outside the VC to save my life :doh:

#5 ·
I don't think there's any chance it could be coming from under the VC....

It's just gotta be traveling around the lip and overflowing there or you'd have water in the engine oil.

Sometimes the fan can blow the liquid from an unexpected place. Fill it up, and yes, as Stroken7.3 suggested, get a pressure tester on it with the engine off. Sprinkle some talc around and wait ;)

#6 ·
Well I think I found it. There was a leak coming from a loose hose clamp in the heater hose that had the Max AC installed in it. I couldn't find it cause it was under the IC pipe. It looks like it was traveling around the lip like you guys said and collecting where the pictures show.
I tightened it up and I'll know tomorrow if it's fixed. Thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.