gelling fuel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gelling fuel?

What does gelling fuel cause our beloved powerstrokes to do?

My truck was blowing white smoke like it was going out of style, missing terribly (felt like it was shivering), had no power or throttle response in drive, loping, and stalling. I threw a small bottle of Diesel 911 (orange bottle) in, but didn't have tools to access the fuel bowl and it didn't seem to make any difference. (tank is about 5/8ths full) Temps were around 5 this morning.

Tonight I managed to get it home with a shade more power, maybe 1500rpm tops, but the temps were up to 15. White smoke started out on fog the neighborhood setting, but eventually settled down to a trace. Tried to let it run this evening, decided it wasn't polite to smoke the neighbors out, and managed to make it maybe 100 feet before stalling. Managed to get it started and running long enough to get it parked and called it quits.

No codes on the computer, CEL only came on when it was loping between maybe 200 and 700 rpm, then would go out again. WTS light acts normally, glow plugs and gpr were replaced back in October and has been starting fine since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As long as your fuel was purchased in the past month I'd think you have the "Winter Blend" (20-30% Kero depending on where you live) and gelling shouldn't be an issue at +5 (the Diesel 911 was a good idea though)

If you were really gelled-up, your truck wouldn't start at all, if partially gelled I think it would "un-gell" with just a little driving.

First thing I would do is to get the tools to open your filter canister and replace that filter, for good measure if nothing else

Not sure why your CEL came on and yet there were no stored codes, what are you using to scan for codes?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 AM

Fuel pump? I was seeing the missing, loping, smoking, 1500 rpm limit when my pump quit. Did it happen when you were driving or did this happen on start up? Did you have your truck plugged in?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 PM

I'm guessing it happened on startup and I just didn't notice until I turned the corner and went to get on the gas. I'd locked the front hubs for the first time since my street is an ice rink. I gave it some gas but didn't really feel any acceleration so I figured I was slipping. Put it in 4wd, still didn't notice much throttle response, and told myself maybe the extra drivetrain was just sucking up my power.

Got the fuel filter replaced, waited for the pump to stop, started, ran ok for a bit, ran rough and eventually died.

Remembered the directions to add Diesel 911 to the bowl so I pulled the filter back out and noticed the fuel level was nowhere near what it was. Poured in the 911, tried to start and got nothing. I didn't hear the fuel pump run that time.

I have a scangauge II hooked up to it. The CEL came on when it was bouncing between 4-700 rpm. Once I restarted it and the idle smoothed out for a bit, the light went back out. Now I'm wondering if it has a working fuel pressure gauge..

Forgot to add that I'd last filled it up in early/mid November from my corner gas station. I don't generally see much diesel sold there, so I'm not sure when they cut over. Glow Plugs, GPR, and both batteries were replaced in October.

Last edited by Chakir; 12-14-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Temps made it up to 25 today so I'm doubting it's gelled fuel at this point. I'm having it towed to a shop on Friday so I'll update again when I know something more. Here's hoping it's a plugged screen somewhere and not something like a head gasket.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sounds like a failing fuel pump to me
Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Yeah it sounds exactly like when mine went out a few weeks ago.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
When my pump in 6.0 went out, I was doing 60 miles an hour down a backroad at about 10pm and it wouldn't start at all
Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Fuel pump decided to take a crap

Thats the story of mine.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:57 PM

The shop just called (5:45pm local) and they wanted permission to pull the valve covers and check the injectors and glow plugs. They said fuel delivery wasn't an issue to the motor.

They'll have more info for me late Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.