Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wiring issue?

961 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  MPTonyT 
#1 ·
Having a problem with my early 99, kind of hard to explain what is going on so I took pictures. I believe there was an aftermarket alarm system put on it and its causing me to not be able to start the truck.

Truck has two batteries, and this problem has something to do with this extra connector on the one battery.

This wire connects into

And runs into the firewall then I believe it ends up at this red light on the dash that looks aftermarket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/Lemeran/IMG_0236.jpg

When this red light flashes and clickes (sometimes it will flash fast sometimes slow, sometimes it clicks also and different speeds) The truck won't turn over. I had the problem once before and I replaced the connector on the end of the wire and it fixed the problem. When you play with the battery terminals the light will change speeds and clicking etc, but I can't get the light to go out this time and be able to start the truck. The fuse that the wire has going to it is good. Im pretty lost as to what this setup is and or why I need it etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you look up under the dash you should find a plug with a gray clip style cover on it and will probably have a nut in the center securing it. Look for a thicker gauge red/Blue wire if you follow it from the base of the ignition cylinder (shown in pic below) you should find where it has been cut in half and a relay installed between it two cut wires.

Remove the relay and connect the two red/blue wires back together. Worst case scenario... this connection could have been made somewhere under the hood but not likely.

I found a pic on the web that shows exactly what iw as talking about. see the pic below (this is not my pic, my installs are WAY better than this...) See the red/blue wire and how it has been cut in half? remove the yellow connectors and connect the red/blue back together.

Oh yeah.... Welcome to the ORG.

#4 ·
Some sort of security "Starter kill"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.