My EGTs are too high...any ideas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My EGTs are too high...any ideas?

Well, let me start by saying that my truck hasnt been run for a few days due to it not starting, earlier today I put a new glow plug relay on it, but...before I did that, I crossed the terminals on my old one to get it started (that might have not been the smart thing to do?) so I could drive it to the parts store, just crusing at 35 mph or so my EGTs are around 700-800 degrees...they have been staying at least 3 or 4 hundred degrees hotter than normal...I also noticed when I punch it, I get a haze of white smoke out the exhaust that used to be black smoke?...seems to run alright though, doesnt make any awful noises or loss of boost or power (as far as I know, I babied it back home after it started getting hot)...so any ideas on why the EGTs are high?

ps temps are normal at an idle, just a little throttle and its shooting up there though

Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 01:02 PM

just wondering - u said jumped the old relay to get it started, did u leave them jumped while u were driving? that might cause it to run a little hotter. that damm relay went out on mine a couple of days ago too (time for a stancor) and i found if i don't jump the relay for long enough she smokes white until she warms up a little. is it still doing that with the new relay?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
check your IC boots and up pipes. do you have a boost gauge? i barely hit 1K pulling a trailer in OD(cut outta od to get them down)
Old 11-28-2010, 06:54 PM

troykimber - I just jumped it to start it then took it off, that's what I thought at first that maybe my glow plugs werent cutting off causing it to run hotter, but it does it with the new relay in too, I took a test light and hit it on the new relay to make sure the large post wasn't staying hot while it was running, and mine smokes when I start it, but clears up...this was a really white smoke, at startup mine is usually grayish.

dietoremain - Yes I have a boost gauge, it still has pretty good boost for me running it easy, I just changed my up pipe gaskets about a month ago.

It wasnt doing this until it sat for a couple days, or until I jumped my relay, I dont know if I burnt something up jumping it or what but I put some injector cleaner/cetane boost in it earlier and took it for a spin a little while ago and it's still getting hot, seems like it may have a little bit of power loss now and doesnt run quite as smoothly as it did a few days ago

Thanks for the input, keep it coming
Old 11-29-2010, 03:32 PM

as long as u only jumped the two large posts then u shouldn't have burnt anything. u might be having fueling issues - maybe bad injector - o-rings - and the connectors in the valve covers can cause all kinds of nonsense.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykimber View Post
as long as u only jumped the two large posts then u shouldn't have burnt anything. u might be having fueling issues - maybe bad injector - o-rings - and the connectors in the valve covers can cause all kinds of nonsense.
Yeah I jumped only the two large posts, truck didn't do bad today, still got a little hotter than normal on acceleration but seemed to be alright at a steady speed, and the smoke is black now also instead of white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.