Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

p0221 help

25K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  codysweat 
#1 ·
P0221 Throttle Switch B Circuit Performance

scanned the truck this is my only code, my pedal drives me nuts its very inconsistent and touchy i already replaced the pedal position sensor so how can i fix this problem and rid of this code.:confused: thanks cody

#2 ·
:bump: looking to get this fixed kinda soon gona be doing some more traveling and cant afford to loose my pedal out of town, heres what happens, im driving normal conditions the service engine soon light comes on and the pedal quits qorking completly, after a few seconds the light goes off and the pedal works again, its really starting to bug me.

#3 ·
subscribing,
I am not sure exactly but I am thinking the idm could be coming into play? The location they are in can sometimes cause them to fill up with water. The tps does control how the vehicle accelerates but the idm is what drives the injectors?
The cam sensor can also cause weird issues, not starting sputtering and then run fine at times. Has that been changed at all? Its about 27 bucks and its good to have a spare even if it does not fix anything.

#4 ·
i have done the cam sensor a total of 3 times first time my dads friend did it second time ford house did it and the last time i did it, i always had a feeling the cam sensor could be f*in with it, where can the idm be found? how will i tell if the problem lies there? thanks so much

#7 ·
try this
NO throttle response, engine idles only, DTC's P0220 or P0221; Vehicle jerks in parking lots, especially manual transmission:
Idle Validation Switch.
The IVS tells the PCM that the accelerator pedal has returned to the idle position. Even if the pedal is fully depressed, if the IVS remains off, the engine will only idle. Watching the IVS and AP data stream, the IVS should switch on below 1.41 volts according to Ford. Navistar spec is 0.2-0.3 volts above base AP voltage. If the PCM sees the Accelerator Pedal sensor voltage increase with out the IVS switching on, it may set a code. The IVS and AP sensor cannot be replaced without replacing the entire pedal assembly. If the IVS switches on at too high of a AP voltage, it can cause the truck to buck at low speeds as the IVS cycles on and off as the driver tries to control his speed. The only way to correct this is to first loosen and turn the AP sensor to reach the lowest possible voltage reading on the scan tool and retighten. Then bend the IVS stop to adjust the on/off point to 0.2-0.3 volts above the base AP voltage reading. Note: There have been cases of lack of throttle response and the above codes which were caused by the PCM not recognizing the IVS "on" signal. Replacing the PCM corrected the problem.

"from intellidog on the web, I copied and pasted."

#8 ·
p1670 just came up after a hard cold start this morning. well ill have my genuis buddy come read this and see if he can give me a hand, but i can tell you that finally sounds right on the money trucks luggs and bucks and the pedal is wierd like itll return to idle when im floored and exactly what you said so now its a process of fixing it, i was thinking about switching to a pcm out of a newer 7.3 but id also like to fix this problem? any ideas? opinions?

#10 ·
bump. im wondering where to go? do i replace the whole pedal assembly and the pcm or will just the pedal assembly fix it? and what all does that consist of? i need to get this straightned out its starting to become a very regular problem that is also very dangerous. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.