Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2003 7.3L won't start

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nbaker 
#1 ·
I did a quick search and read a few posts on "no start" problems and I didn't find one that quite fit my problem.

Tonight we were at a friends house, temps in the low 20's, bout 10:30 we went to leave and the truck won't start. I cycled the GP's 3 times, everything was normal, WTS light came on and went off like it was supposed to. After the 3rd time I cranked it and it turned over twice, and made a noise like something let loose. Now when you turn the key on, the WTS light comes on and goes off like normal and when I try to crank it all I get is a "whizzzzz" sound. I think its probably the starter went out, but I just want to see if there are any other possibilities out there.

#3 ·
sounds like the starter to me. Get under the truck and take a look at it. I have seen two starters come apart and with a pry bar you can hold it in place to get it started to get you home. The other option is to tap the starter with a hammer or other object and see if it will break free and engage the fly wheel. But by the description it definately sounds like a starter. Have someone listen when you hit it and see if the whining noise is coming from the starter.

#4 ·
I had what sounds like the same problem last year. Changed out the starter and " voila"

#5 ·
Well I got it home this afternoon, I was able to get under there and check things out. The bottom bolt had worked its way out and the loud noise I heard last night when I tried to start it, was the starter kicking out and cracking the ear on the top mount bolt. No damage to the teeth on the starter or fly wheel though.

Since the wife has went a little overboard xmas shopping, I dont have the funds for a new starter until I get paid again. I'm going to have it welded in the A.M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.