Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Clunk/slop in trans or tcase

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Dan S 
#1 · (Edited)
Getting a clunk when I get off the gas without pushing the clutch in. Feels like there's some slack then when I get back on the gas it feels like it slams. Happens in all gears. Happens in 4wd or 2wd. I changed the front u-joint and checked/regreased the rear. 2002 f250, One piece driveshaft, ZF6 trans, NP271 tcase, shifts fine into all gears. I have put it on jackstands and looked at it. No visible slop in driveshaft and the sound as best I can tell is coming from front of tcase/rear of trans. Looking for any ideas before I start tearing things apart.

#3 ·
There is a slip joint. It is greased and moves freely. After further investigation the sound really seems concentrated in the rear of the transmission. Also, I don't know if its related but another new sound that started somewhere around the same time is almost a grinding when upshifting early. Most predominant in 3rd and 4th gears.

Hope that can shed some more light on the subject.

Dan

#5 ·
Re-greased the slip joint. Didn't change anything. While I had the driveshaft out I took a few videos to show the slop and the sound which, with the motor off is definately coming from directly behind the flywheel.

First vid is showing movement at Tcase output shaft:

Second is to hear sound up front:

:icon_ford:
Any help would be great
Dan

#6 ·
While you are checking things, don't forget to check the rear pinion shaft.

Best method is to have someone hold the brakes with the truck off, and in neutral. Crawl under the truck, and check for play in the rear drive shaft, while watching the pinion yoke.

If you don't have someone to hold the brakes for you, you can use the emergency brake, but would probably be best to also chock a tire or two, just to be safe.

#7 ·
Well whatever it is broke today. It now pops out of gear and grinds after a few feet of driving. Happens the same in all gears. The shifter is not moving when the trans disengages/pops out. I know Im gonna have to pull it now. Just looking for and educated guess so I can get a reasonably accurate estimate from a trans shop.

#8 ·
Clunk/slop in trans or tcase - Problem found(clutch disc)

I talked to a local mechanic after the failure and he suggested the clutch as the problem. I dropped the trans and check it. It was destroyed. I took some close up pics to show the failure. Looks like a real cheap setup that failed at a fairly low mileage. The turning marks were still visible on the flywheel. Hopefully this will save someone some frustration in the future.

Dan
Clutch Breakage pictures from trucks photos on webshots

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.