Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Smoke ONLY during cold start???

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jc82chevyman 
#1 ·
I need help! I cannot figure this out and niether can a 7.3 mechanic?? No codes are being left. I only get smoke in the morning but i live in Los Angeles so it does not get that cold. Truck starts easily without hesitation but always blows white smoke when engine is cold untill the engine warms up. Mechanic did the buzz test and a full diagnosis and was not able to figure it out. He asked to replace several sensors and i have but nothing has changed! Could it be a oil problem? I checked for blow by with the cap loose and it did not move just a small amount of smoke came thru the loose cap.

#2 ·
even in the not so cold if you're in an area with moisture it can build up on the exhaust and burn off as white smoke... not uncommon.

#4 ·
If your not getting excessive blowby and you don't have a blown head gasket or bad injector cups then it probably is moisture. My 02 smokes a lil when its warm always when its cool out and my 95 always smokes when it first starts up I think its just the nature of them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.