Thought adrenaline hpop was shot.. turned out no oil. NOT starting? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thought adrenaline hpop was shot.. turned out no oil. NOT starting?

Alright long story here guys. Truck is a 2002 crew cab, 6spd, short box, 7.3. It has 433k on body, about 80k on motor. Truck has bully dog 6pos 4bank tuner, 1.0exhaust housing, stealth adrenaline hpop, intake, and exhaust.

Truck was driving fine. One day, it started acting goofy and shut down. Had the fuel injectors/lines purged of air. It ran fine for a few more days. Then it died on the side of the highway. Had it towed to Ford dealership. First they said IPR is shot. They replaced it (for a LOT of money). Didn't fix the truck. They said hpop is shot. Gonna be like 3 grand. Efffff that! So we picked up the truck. We bought a used hpop, and towed the truck to the house. We started tearing the stealth adrenaline hpop out, and out of curiousity, I pulled the oil dipstick. Just a smidge was barely touching the tip of it. Cleaned the dipstick, NOTHING was touching it. ZERO oil. We thought "sh*t, this hpop's fine, there's just no damn oil to fire the heui!". We put the stealth back together (didn't fill the hpop reservoir), filled up the fuel bowl (by cranking the motor), and we know there is oil flow because the pass-side head from the hpop wasn't in tight and it was flowing all over the head/valley. The truck took a good 2 gallons of oil to hit the Full mark on the dipstick.

Truck just cranks and cranks and cranks. We sprayed ether, the truck just cranked faster. The rpm's aren't registering upon cranking... and the oil-gauge does register a bit of oil when cranking it. All the fuses are intact.

I think the truck only smoked out the stack when we sprayed ether in there. We were cranking on the truck for a good hour, so we know for a fact there is oil in the reservoir/hpop, and fuel in the bowl. But it sounds electrical to me, since the ether didn't even wanna fire it.

Are we talking a cps here?

Matt

Last edited by 85_305; 11-07-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you fill the oil in the truck while you were at it?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Banned

Yes I'm editing my story now.. it took a good 8 or 10 or 12 quarts... it came up to like 2 gallons I think.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Even if the problem was electrical it should have fired on ether. The only reason I could see it not firing on ether is lack of compression . Hopefully you had you GPR unhooked before you shot it with ether.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Johnny Law Brown

i would say probably cps but you need to put it on a scanner
Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 AM

I thought ether was a no-no? (Sorry, no help here. But it's at least a bump ttt)
Old 11-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslayer74 View Post
Even if the problem was electrical it should have fired on ether. The only reason I could see it not firing on ether is lack of compression . Hopefully you had you GPR unhooked before you shot it with ether.
I would almost think so too.. i'm stumped. I dont understand why it didn't fire with ether. Which leads me to think perhaps the icp or cps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc82chevyman View Post
i would say probably cps but you need to put it on a scanner
Are my rpm's supposed to fluctuate while cranking this motor? I know some 7.3's DID fluctuate; they show the 250 rpms while cranking then they immediately show the idle rpm when it starts. Because this truck isn't showing rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
I thought ether was a no-no? (Sorry, no help here. But it's at least a bump ttt)
I think it's ok in short moderation.. but it's a sure-fire way (excuse the pun) to be sure if a truck will or will not fire.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM

Ether is a no no, unless you have your glow plugs unhooked or relay unhooked. Ether and glow plugs is not a good combo, it has the possibility of lifting a head or an explosion. I would check your compression, as long as your motor turns over the ether should fire it. Nothing electrical will stop the motor from firing on ether, diesels are compression ignition motors ( I know you know this) so in theory it should start if the motor has compression.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Yes I'm editing my story now.. it took a good 8 or 10 or 12 quarts... it came up to like 2 gallons I think.
These trucks only hold 3 1/2 (+/-) gallons right? I think you were a few minutes away from locking up your motor if you were 2 gallons low. Which probable means your compression (motor) is toast.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlogue5_0 View Post
These trucks only hold 3 1/2 (+/-) gallons right? I think you were a few minutes away from locking up your motor if you were 2 gallons low. Which probable means your compression (motor) is toast.
Thats why I'm thinking the motor has lost compression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.