Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Truck Surging?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  smokeyd 
#1 ·
2002 F350 Auto Trans 125k
Having some problems with truck surging. I dont know how to explain it other than when im driving down the road it starts surging like I hit a bump in the road and my foot keeps pressing the gas padal. All I have to do to get it to stop is let off for a few seconds and it foes away. It only does it once in awhile, mainly when the truck's oil is 100 deg or so, not all the way warmed up. I am getting no Ses light. I have been getting an ABS light but it doesnt come on when im getting the surge. It almost feels trans related. Any ideas where to start?

#2 ·
my old gasser used to do this.... after chasing a million different routes it ended up being a bad connection between the battery posts and terminals :(

Check all your electrical connections and fuses first.

Ill leave it to the more mechanical guys on here for what else it could be. Figured id suggest a free check first :)

#4 ·
my truck is doing the same thing, it has gotten to where it does it very often, it wont do it while im in the throttle but more like when cruzing down the road.
I hear if it does it even while you have your cruise control on its not your accelerator pedal. my mechanic says it may be icm or oil pump??? i got no idea man but its driving me insane!!!

#7 ·
my '95 work rig with the e4od did this and it turned out to be the electrical connector going into the driver side valve cover under the turbo - 'cause of the tight bend it makes there was some chaffing going on and there was some intermittent arcing....
i think from 98 on there is only one connector on each cover - but check all connections on the heui system. those pedal sensors mess around a bit too. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.