Help HPOP Replacement.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help HPOP Replacement..

Hey guys, please help me if you can. I'm elbow deep in my 99' 7.3 replacing the HPOP, and have a dumb question. The fuel bowl is off, all of the lines are off, the two 10mm bolts are off and I still cannot take off the old pump. What am I missing? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Did you take the resevoir off? It sits on top of the front of the HPOP and holds the oil. There are like 6 bolts on top of it holding it on.

Once that is off you can see the gear, and a bolt holding that gear on. Once that gear is removed the pump will fall off
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No, I didn't, thanks for the info!

Going to do that right now.

Anything else you want to tell the dumbazz newbie? I'm all ears....
Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggatorchomp View Post
No, I didn't, thanks for the info!

Going to do that right now.

Anything else you want to tell the dumbazz newbie? I'm all ears....
Well yes.... That resevoir will make a mess when you remove it. Its hold like a quart or a little less.

You may pump it out first. But i always just let it make its mess then clean it up.

The bolt for holding the gear on is like an 18mm. You will have to take the inspection plate off first. Its 2 bolts, either 10 or 8mm. And to get the bolt off the gear you need someone below the truck holding the engine from turning over, otherwise when you spin the gear the motor will just try and turn over!

When you go to re-install make sure you use some RTV to seal up the cover that protects the bolt. It doesnt have a gasket or anything
Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you Derek...

I'm at the gear now...

I'll post my "Progress" shortly...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, gear is off. working on putting the new pump in now, and replacing the gear.

I was able to just take it off with a 18mm wrench, it did not turn the engine over.

I hope that's not a problem.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggatorchomp View Post
Ok, gear is off. working on putting the new pump in now, and replacing the gear.

I was able to just take it off with a 18mm wrench, it did not turn the engine over.

I hope that's not a problem.

Thanks!
You must just have really good compression hahaha... I never tried it without holding the engine. I just know it will turn it over if you wanted to.

But you should be good to go!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Fill the resevoir upon re installation. Leaving it dry and letting the truck fill it up will make the engine run oilless for a second or two!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a question about this as well since I have heard different stories. Once you are done and the new pump has been installed and the new resevoir has been filled up. Do you just crank it and let it idle for a while so it bleeds itself out or do you have to run it 10 mins and then pull some bleed screw etc... I got confused on this while reading the install instructions for the adrenaline pump. Thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlogue5_0 View Post
I have a question about this as well since I have heard different stories. Once you are done and the new pump has been installed and the new resevoir has been filled up. Do you just crank it and let it idle for a while so it bleeds itself out or do you have to run it 10 mins and then pull some bleed screw etc... I got confused on this while reading the install instructions for the adrenaline pump. Thanks
Not sure on a 6.0

But on a 7.3 letting it idle and driving it bleeds it. I let mine idle like 5 minutes, and then i drive the absolute **** out of it!

Driving it hard is the best way to get air out of the lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.