3 tries to start, white smoke coming out of turbo and then starts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3 tries to start, white smoke coming out of turbo and then starts

Ok, a question for you guys, hopefully with a simple solution.

I went to start my truck this morning and it didn't catch on the first or second try. It just cranked slower and slower but did not catch.
On the second try white smoke starts to come out of the hood.
Hmmm. I open the hood and the white smoke is coming out of the joint at the back of the turbo where it goes down to the exhaust. It continues to seep out for a minute or two. I try to start it again same thing. I am now running late for work. Hmmmm.
I try to crank it one more time and it fires up right away, but with a puff of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe this time.
the weather was about 40 degrees or so and extremely windy during the night, truck sits outside, no garage.

Any ideas on where to start?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

Sounds like your turbo seals have blown out. JUST had this happen on my diesel volkswagen. Should be ok to drive on it for a little while, just keep in mind once the leak gets bad enough your gonna have a runaway diesel on your hands.

just to be sure.. there is a HUGE puff of white smoke right? Not just a little sputter of it? A little white on startup is ok... bellowing white smoke, especially from under the hood coming from the turbo/IC lines, is a sure sign of blown oil seals in the turbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 05:30 PM

it was just a little seeping out, enough to notice without the hood popped open, but nothing major. After it fired up a burst of it came out of the tailpipe. It has started fine ever since then. I am just trying to head off problems before winter hits
Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Banned

Well if it's just a brief puff, you should be good. If its POURING out, then you have problems.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Well if it's just a brief puff, you should be good. If its POURING out, then you have problems.
What kind of problems? My f-550 blows white smoke at start up when the temp drops below 65. I have a lot of trouble starting it when it's below 50F. I haven't started to swap parts yet. Once the truck heats up a bit it's fine with no issues.

Scott
Old 10-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

Like I said if it's a brief puff at startup.. its relatively normal for these big diesels. If it blasts the surrounding area with white smoke in what looks like a para-military smoke-screen, then it's more than likely oil being blowing into the intercooler lines (ie bad turbo seals), and the turbo is eating up the oil. Does the truck billow white smoke while driving down the road? Does the white smoke have a funky smell to it? If you are sly enough, take a video and post it unless you think you can answer those questions accurately enough for us to answer. I'm gonna take a picture of my diesel volkswagen w/ bad turbo seals in a few days and post it on youtube to show what its like.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to harley1rocker Send a message via Skype™ to harley1rocker
you have glow plug/relay probs if she aint hittin.that whit smoke you see is unburnt fuel,check your glow plugs and the relay.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Like I said if it's a brief puff at startup.. its relatively normal for these big diesels. If it blasts the surrounding area with white smoke in what looks like a para-military smoke-screen, then it's more than likely oil being blowing into the intercooler lines (ie bad turbo seals), and the turbo is eating up the oil. Does the truck billow white smoke while driving down the road? Does the white smoke have a funky smell to it? If you are sly enough, take a video and post it unless you think you can answer those questions accurately enough for us to answer. I'm gonna take a picture of my diesel volkswagen w/ bad turbo seals in a few days and post it on youtube to show what its like.

The white smoke is on start up for 5-10 min depending on how cold it is. It is a pretty good smoke screen. Once it warms up I don't see any more the rest of the day. The truck runs a bit rough until it warms up.

Thanks for the help Scott
Old 10-20-2010, 05:45 AM
Banned

Interesting.. hows it boost when its running rough? Does your throttle ever "hang"? If your throttle ever hangs, its feeding off the oil thats running thru the IC. This can lead to a runaway diesel (happened in my Volkswagen.. I was only idling down the road. I put it in 5th popped the clutch and slammed the brakes to stop it)
Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1rocker View Post
you have glow plug/relay probs if she aint hittin.that whit smoke you see is unburnt fuel,check your glow plugs and the relay.
Yeah, what he said. Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago. Swapped out the burnt out stock style GPR for a Stancor. No problems since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.