2000 7.3 very hard to start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 very hard to start

I have a 2000 F350 and every time I go to start the truck it turns over WAY to long before it fires up. Sometimes it takes so long I let off the keys, turn it off, and start over. When I do this, most of the time it fires right up, instantly. If the truck sits for over an hour it does this. It's like there is no fuel getting to it. But once its running, everything is good. Is this a sign my fuel pump is going out? Do these trucks have a lifter? Is it seperate from the fuel pump or are they together? Or am I way off? Your help is much appreciated.

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to Okiefromwatonga
Maybe a HPOP going out?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:39 PM
riddin' high

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dasaliac03 Send a message via Skype™ to Dasaliac03
hmmmmmmmm

if at all possible

take a video of you trying to start it, the sound would be key in determining the problem, we have some real gear heads on the org that could tell ya right off
Old 10-13-2010, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't know if it would be the oil pump.... could be I guess.....

Might be able to get a video, have to see if I Can try. Feels like its not turning over quite as fast as it should with these batteries. I just put new batteries in this spring, and I don't drive the truck everyday (only 40K on my baby) but I have been driving it here a lot over the past few weeks. At first I thought the batteries just need charged, and it seemed to get better by the second start. But again, as I would try to start, it would take forever to catch fire. This morning it wasn't that bad, but still took longer than normal. I did stop for breakfast, came back out to the truck, and I didn't wait for my wait to start light to go out, just turned the ignition.... started right up. I read somewhere that another guy did that and his truck started better due to the weather. I don't know. I'm at a loss I guess, with the possibility it could be different things. I know one thing I have tried, and seems to help with the starting, is I'll turn the the key on, wait a minute, turn the key off, then on again, wait a minute, then do it again, and start it and sometimes that helps with the starting. Most of the time though, the only thing that helps it the most is actually trying to start it, turning it off, then starting it again. I guess you can say I'm lost and confused.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just did some more reading on the HPOP, and I think this could be something. I have an edge indash programmer and I think I have cleared the code P1211 before, and I read that that code could lead to issues with something in the Oil System. Now I understand. I will have to scan my truck again later to see if that code will come back up.

So if that is the case for my starting, what are some ideas that would keep pulling a charge on these new batteries......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.