Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 engine problems

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  sldghamr 
#1 ·
I bought the truck about a month ago and it died a few times but did not throw a code; after reading some forums I replaced the cam sensor and it seemed to fix the problem for a bit, but today it started to die again and very frequently. I can not go more than a few miles without the engine dying. A check engine light comes on sometimes, but it goes away if I turn the ignition all the way off. I pulled codes and here is what came up.

P0344 Cam pos sensor intermittent--I was thinking this may be a left over code from the cam sensor replacement, but I did pull the battery after it was completed.

p0478 Exh pressure cont valve high

p470 exh press sensor fault

P1211 ICP press above/below desired

The truck is mostly stock with the exception of exhaust (single stack). I was told it also has 80hp injectors added, but it does not blow any black smoke. I was also told there is no tune. The truck has 350k mi but I was told the engine and tranny are fairly new 60k on motor, 25k on trans.

I am new to diesel maintenance, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any one problem that would contribute to all these codes?

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Add some more information to it. When does it die? While driving, at a stop, when doing something like stepping on the brakes, turning or ????? Is the engine cold, fulling warmed up, no rhyme or reason. Anything else you can think of. Good luck. I have a full set of shop manuals for the 02 to reference for you

#3 · (Edited)
dies at all settings

If I am driving at highway speeds, it dies drops about 1k rpm but will stay running, but the engine loses all power for less than a second. If I am stopped or at low speed it will shut off completely.

It was raining today and it was the first time the dying has happened since the last rain. May be just a coincidence though. Right before I replaced the cam pos sensor it was raining too, but I am not sure of the weather the first few times the problem occurred.

I also cannot verify either the rebuild or injectors, just taking the word of the seller.

#6 ·
This may sound like a stupid question, but since you've owned the truck for only a couple months. Have you drained the fuel filter of any water in the trap? You may also want to change the filter. If you need help with either of these maintenance items let us know and we'll be glad to tell you how to do it. Diesels don't like water. If you have a load of water in your filter system rain could put just enough moisture in the air to send it over the edge. That may be your problem either way best to change out the filters sense you don't know when the filters were changed. :icon_ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.