'01 looses engine power after 3 minutes - numerous codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'01 looses engine power after 3 minutes - numerous codes

I am hitting a brick wall with this one.

Quick recap:

I have a 2001 F-250 with 209,000 miles on it. The truck is misfiring on cylinders #4 and #8, but it did not stop me from driving it. Recently, the truck started loosing power after just a few minutes of driving. Engine malfunction light illuminates. The engine will restart right back, but looses power instantly. I have cleared all DTCs from the PCM and re-scanned the system using Auto Enginuity with Ford enhanced upgrade. Here is the list of codes:

* P0272 - Cylinder 4 injector circuit contribution / balance fault
* P0284 - Cylinder 8 injector circuit contribution / balance fault
* P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single sensor
* P0476 - Exhaust pressure control valve range / performance
* P0603 - Internal control module keep alive memory (KAM) error
* P1209 - Injector control pressure peak delta test fault
* P1211 - Injector control pressure higher / lower than desired (engine running)
* P1247 - Turbocharger boost pressure low

KOEO on-demand system test passes.

I replaced the CMP with O'Reilley's (Weber) for $25.99 (grey body). The original CMP sensor was installed by a local FORD dealer when the recall was in effect. I have followed the DF diagnostics procedure from the Ford repair manual and was able to catch the resistance between CMP ground and chassis ground from 8 to 20 ohms. I got excited thinking I have identified the issue and reduced it to either a wiring issue or a faulty PCM. Turns out 8 ohms was due to dome light being illuminated, and 20 ohms is only seen when headlights are on. With both lights OFF, all wiring showed less than 1 ohm. I have also checked the resistance between PCM Test Pins 25, 51, 76, 77 and 103 and chassis ground - everything appears normal.

To aid in identification of a problem, I have monitored engine stats using Auto Enginuity while driving. When the engine is initially started, idle injection pressure is 460 psi; injector control pressure duty cycle is at 7%. During acceleration, injection pressure peaked at 2919 psi with the corresponding ICP duty cycle @ 33%. When the engine lost power, the injection pressure dropped to 340 psi, while ICP duty cycle was 64.45%, even during idling (no accelerator input).

The reported DTC codes are convoluted and the CMP really throws me off. I came across a post where a similar issue was observed and it turned out to be the IPR valve. I have studied the schematics and did not see any direct ties between IPR and CMP, unless the malfunction causes a glitch inside the PCM, resulting in an extended list of reported sensor failures.

While I have not checked my oil viscosity, I do know that I likely have a compression issue. If pistons do not keep the seal in cylinders #4 and #8, possibly allowing fuel into the oil - thereby reducing its viscosity and sheer flow properteis. Is it possible that once the oil reaches a particular temperature, its viscosity and sheer flow change and result in a cascading effect seen here? Last oil change was about a year ago, but the truck has only been driven about 1000 miles. Oil is Rotella 15/40.

Other observations:
* No oil leaks
* Oil level in HPOP reservoir is less than 1" from the top.
* Initial cold start gives me about 5 minutes of driving.
* After engine looses power and starts idling rought, turning it OFF and ON gives just a few seconds of driving.
* Letting the engine cool for 10 minutes gives about 2 minutes of driving before symptoms repeat.

Ready to pull what's left of my hair out....Please help!

Last edited by texaswash; 08-27-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A quick update...

After scanning yesterday, I decided to take the IRP valve out today. I discovered that the second seal (square cross section) is split diagonally across the seal cross-section.

With no replacement seals on hand, I'm speculating that when oil temperature is low, the partial seal is enough to keep injectors running. But as soon as oil temp goes up and the viscosity drops, the seal no longer holds it, resulting in the observed symptoms. Is my line of thinking correct and could the described symptoms, in fact, be due to the broken second IPR seal?

Old 08-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think that seal is designed to be split like that. Check out the pic of IPR o ring replacement parts.

Also, if diesel was diluting the oil that much you'd smell it in the oil and the oil level would be very high.

Sorry I could not be of more help. One of the gurus will be along to brighten your day.
Attached Thumbnails
'01 looses engine power after 3 minutes - numerous codes-iprorings.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, I found exactly the same picture when I was looking for O-ring replacement kit and quickly lost my spirit....but, since the IPR was out, I took it apart and completely cleaned it out per below instructions. I did not find gross particulates, but the oil was thick inside the valve with metal micro-particulates, like metallic automotive paint. I used camper fuel with 2 oz of oil per gallon, so when parts were cleaned, a thin oil film was covering them for assembly purposes.

IRP Valve Removal / Cleaning Guide

I am draining oil as we speak - and will put in fresh Rotella 15/40. Hopefully the combination of the two will get things moving in a positive direction.

Crossed my fingers
Old 08-28-2010, 05:59 PM

I would check fuel pressure under a load. Sounds like your sending unit in the fuel tank could be restricted.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck is a GO! After giving the IPR valve some TLC and changing the oil, symptoms did not come back. I took it for a 30 mile ride with various load conditions - and it is solid. No more check engine light, no more stalling.

Thanks everyone!

I'm relieved!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:19 PM

Well done! Now the question to me is why the gunky oil in the IPR. Deferred oil change? Never wanna to see the oil glinting like metallic paint.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have not changed the oil in over a year, but then the truck has only put on 1,000 miles in that time. It is possible that the shop where I changed the oil was "conservative" since they only charged $60. 3.5 gallons of rotella with an oil filter cost almost as much so economics of it does not make much sense now that I did my own oil change.

I also had an incident with a local Ford Dealership in San Antonio (Jordan). I took the truck in for a CMP sensor recall in 2008 and to run some diagnostics on misfire. They kept the vehicle for three days, and when I rushed in to pick it up and to cancel the diagnostics, I had a dispute as they were lifting the truck and connecting the equipment after I had canceled it. CMP was replaced. They wanted to run diagnostics for free so I let them. I drove away from the dealer with an oil leak without knowing it, noticed when it was driving and operating irregularly, then found a huge puttle. Took it to the dealer, they said I had a massive leak that appears to come from the turbo pedestal. And immediately wipped out a quote. Without means to pay for the repair, I decided to pursue it on my own. Truck was standing for a couple of months until I got to it. Turns out it was the CMP sensor - the tech decided that half of a seal was better than a complete one...

I realized that the only way to do it right is to do it yourself. Lesson learned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.