Power Steering Pump, Hydraulic Booster, or Master Cylinder?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Power Steering Pump, Hydraulic Booster, or Master Cylinder??

I have a 1999 F250 super duty with a 7.3. I am having braking problems, when the truck is running, the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and the power steering pump whines loudly. It pushes back a little bit but resistance is minimal. When the truck is off the brakes feel good and tight.
Already replaced a ruptured brake line, pads, and disks. I blead the system at each tire, but did not have any special tools to pressurize the system. Seems to be air free. My power steering fluid was a little low, but I did not find any sign of leakage and the steering seems to operate fine, except for being noisy (the same noise as when the brakes are applied). How can I tell if I need a new power steering pump, master cylinder, or Hyrdo pump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

My first inkling is master cylinder. If the master cylinder is leaking by then it is probably able to hold pressure without help of the brake booster (that is, it is able to hold the pressure of your foot only) but when you start the truck and the hydroboost kicks in, the master cylinder can't hold that much pressure and leaks by.

The power steering pump _might_ (or it could be the hydro pump that you hear) be whining louder because the leaking master cylinder is placing additional fluid demand on the system. I would start by replacing the master cylinder.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:46 AM

Did you find the fix?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

pressure booster pump

water pressure problem is really a bog problem .Total home water pressure booster pump is a solution for it.
It will increase the pressure and give better results so you can enjoy better
shower ana big cleaning and many more.It consume less power.
Its safe and easy to install and fully automatic that maximize and mainrain household water presure.
Maximum pumping capacity to 26 GPM ,Maximum additional pressure 40 PSI

Buy the PENTAIR WATER - FLOTEC- SIMER - 3075SS 3/4 HP water pressure booster pump at TheHardwareCity.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.