Did I make a mistake? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did I make a mistake?

Hey guys, I purchased my first powerstroke (truck in sig) about 2 weeks ago and I am loving the truck so far, but since I have owned it I am noticing that I probably didn't look it over as closely as I should have before I bought it. I feel like I got a really good deal on it (paid 12,000 with 130k).

This is not really a complaint about the truck, I just want to vent a little.

Anyway, crawling around under it yesterday to change the oil, I noticed it has a few paint chips in the oil pan and is starting to rust where the paint has chipped off. This worries me because of all of the posts I have seen about the pans rusting through. I also notices there is a little bit of a coolant leak from the water pump, one of the transmission cooler hoses is very soft and seeping fluid, the fan clutch is loose enough to allow play in the fan (its not the waterpump with play in it) the upper and lowe radiator hoses as well as the hose that goes between the rad and the degas bottle needs replaced, and sometimes on light acceleration I hear a noise that sounds like pinging in a gasser (I assume its the #8 injector).

Like I said, I really like the truck, interior and exterior all look brand new, and I love the way it drives. I know things wear out, its just stressful to see a brand new to me truck needing work. I just hope its a good truck in need of a little TLC, and that I didn't get taken.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Don't you worry about it

doesnt sound too bad... keep in mind this new to you truck is 7 years old and has 130k miles on her. I had to change out my water pump at 130,000 on my 99.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Thanks strokinpower. Like I said, the truck seems really solid, and I feel like I got a good deal on it. I just need to keep remining myself that I paid a great price, and that it does have 130k on it.

So, if the paint chips and slight rust on the oil pan is caught early (like it was), can I just shoot the pan with rust converting primer and rustoleum or something like that?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd wirebrush the oil pan then hit it with some Rustoleum BBQ paint.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

or use some POR15, really good stuff
Old 08-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymatt View Post
or use some POR15, really good stuff
I agree that stuff is wicked good but i would be scared to wire brush it can do more bad than good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.