EBP Valve Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EBP Valve Question

I have another post out there related to "no" power. A lot of the feedback I am getting has to do with a possibly faulty EBP Valve. Many people have suggested I disconnect it so that it will open and stay open. Others have stated that when they disconnected theirs that things improved.

I spoke with a local diesel mechanic the other day and he stated that If my EBP valve was stuck closed my truck would barely run at all. This confused me since so many people have suggested that the problem could be the EBPV. I live in the desert where the temperature lately has been in the 100s.

I would think that if it really could be the EPBV, the mechanic might have agreed with the idea a little more. I know there is a lot of technical knowledge on this forum so if anybody could help me understand the differences of opinions I would apprecate an explanation. I created this new thread so I could focus on this specific question. thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hi, I'm sorta new to this sight too, I think I've read most stuff twice on here. I live in the desert also with my '97 F350 CC PSD with 118,000 miles. I also pull a 37' 14,000 LB 5th wheel. I use my EBPV as an engine break, and my truck runs just fine when it is closed. Granted it is a little louder then normal and it feels like I'm fighting a good head wind. I personally would go with what these folks say on here. I know two deisel techs. And the have very little clue when it comes to the PSD.
The EBPV is very easy to disconnect. It took me about 20 minutes to convert mine to an engine break
And at that time, one of my deisel techs told me that what I was doing wouldn't work. That my engine would not run when it closed. Makes me wonder what school he went to.
As for any other reasons why there is no power, I'm clueless. Fortunately for me, Mine has run flawlessly since I accuired it 1.5 years ago. And of course I got the power bug, but the wife won't let me spend all at once.

Jody
Old 05-31-2007, 12:35 PM

take a large sledge hammer and pound your exhaust pipe flat...now try to run your truck. Thats EXACTLY what will happen if that valve sticks in the closed position. it won't run for schyt! Your engine is putting out a lot of exhaust and if that valve is stuck closed, its got no place to go.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I agree mine was sticking and I had no power and a loss of mileage. When I pulled mine off you will see that it doesn't totally close but darn near. Its supposed to open up when you get on the gas and mine wasnt till it was fully warmed up, so I unplugged mine first before I gutted it. You will need to make sure your valve is open before you unplug or it won't work. Usually with the truck off it should be open, but if yours is sticking closed it may not open on shut down. You can physically move the linkage or acuating arm to the valve with your hand. Its a tight fit but its on the turbo pedestal. I will post a pic of the pedestal so you will have a better idea.

This is what your turbo sits on. You can see the actuating arm coming out the back left side. Also the front of the pedestal is the solinoid that the electrical connector plugs into that is what you will want to unplug. It will have a wire retaining clip with two wires. Good luck
Old 06-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Also, jfines, keep an eye on it, useing it as a brake can wear out the o-rings and butterfly over a period of time, just something to watch out for. And welcome to the site guys.

Gord.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Hey Gord,

Thanks for the info. I don't actually use it that much. But I will keep my eye on it. I do plan on putting in an actual engine brake in the future. But right now I have to be cheap.

Jody
Old 06-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

No problem man, just making you aware, check out the US Gear Super Decelerator, I have it on my truck, it's great, pulls down to a thousand RPM, and is easy to install on your own.

Gord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.