2002 ford f350 7.3l will not crank.. HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 ford f350 7.3l will not crank.. HELP!!

Well first off I thank you for reading this, and any input would be greatly appreciated. I just finished up a trip from ok. to tx. and back. I parked my truck went to bed, and when I returned to the truck the following morning it wouldnt turn over. I opened the fuse box, and the relays are clicking, but it wont crank. I checked the voltage on the batteries, and they are both 12.4. They were a little corroded, so I cleaned both of them, and still nothing. The air lights, blinkers, and everything else still works, but no crank click or anything. I left a power inverter plugged in to the auxillary cig lighter port. Could it be the starter? it has never given me any trouble in the past. Thank you for any and all advice on how I could troubleshoot this. I am mechanically challenged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Sorry to hear about your problem. Get a charger on those batteries for awhile. Make double sure that isn't your problem. How old are they? Just because they work your lights doesn't mean you have enough amps to turn over a diesel. Takes a lot.

If you can find someone with an AutoEnginuity scanner that would tell you a lot. Post on here in and ask if there is someone in your area that may have one and the willingness to come over and check it out for you. Lots of great folks on here.

Get those batteries charged real good and see what happens. You should have a point where the cables come together with a place to hook a charger to. You should be able to charge both at the same time. I always go for a low amp charge for a long time rather than a bunch real quick.. Just me.......

Oh and WELCOME TO THE ORG.!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

That battery voltage you measured is borderline. If the batteries were fully charged and healthy then you should measure somewhere between 12.6-12.8 (and even higher shortly after charging). I would start by ensuring your batteries are healthy. Take them up to the autoparts store and have them tested. If they test well, throw them onto a battery charger. If that doesn't fix your problem, come on back and we'll keep going down the list.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Well two of us agree!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

that makes three! our trucks really need good batteries! i know you stated corrosion on the terminals, clean them well, replace if needed. get a good charge and go from there. checking the starter would be the next step i assume. good luck!!!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I put two trucks with jumper cables on it, and still nothing. no clicks or anything.. Where is the starter solenoid? I looked on the passenger side fender, but it isnt there. should I take the starter off and have it tested?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

even weak batteries will crank. I would say it's your starter. If you can have someone hold the key over while you slid under the passenger side of the truck with a hammer tap on the starter. My guess is that it will start. Takes about 15 min tops to take the starter out.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My truck has done the same thing to me and it was the starter. Parked it at work in the morning, went to go home and nothing, no clicks, nada, replaced the starter and it's fixed. Make sure you check the relay on the pass-side fender, try to jump the two terminals and see if it will turn over.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I cant find that relay anywhere.. the only thing on the passenger side fender that is visible, has hoses coming off of it.. would it be anywhere else?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

let me go look at mine........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.