No power & poor mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power & poor mileage

I have a 2002, 7.3 Power Stroke. 75,000 miles. I am not the original owner and the only mod is a K&N Filter. This truck used to pull my 6500 pound trailer with no problem. I could accelerate up the hills as much as I wanted. Now all of a sudden pulling a 3500 pound pontoon boat, I have no power up the hills and my mileage is in the toilet (maybe 8 or 9 per gallon). This past weekend, I hit a 7% grade, turned off the O/D and pushed the throttle to the floor. The truck ran up to about 2800 RPM but really was not accelerating. If anything it was slowing down. I pulled over, smelled something out of the ordinary, sat there for a few minutes and continued on taking it very easy. Sometimes going up a hill, I will hear a whooshing sound that will start and last about two seconds then will stop for about two seconds then start again. If I back off the throttle or reach the top of the hill it will stop again. Sometimes the whooshing sound will start and stay on. The whooshing sound sounds like somthing is running at faster RPM's but no change on the tach. Almost sounds like a bad fan clutch but what do I know and since the engine temp was fine I don't think that is what it is. Coming home from this last trip during this on again off again whooshing activity, the tranny temp came all the way up but just as it reached the yellow I reached the top of the hill and it immediately went back down. It is at the dealer right now but any help is appreciated. I am not a an expert with the mechanics of a diesel so when providing technical direction, please try to idiot it down. This is very frustrating. This truck is my baby and going from the power I use to have to what I have now stinks. I don't think the tranny is slipping because for the most part the over temp on the tranny only happened once while the power loss was constant.

You folks have never let me down so any help is appreciated. I have not heard from the dealer yet but if I do I will add it to the post.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I'm no tranny expert...but it sounds to me like your tranny is slipping...and slipping VERY bad!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

the only way to know for sure wether the engine is runing right would be run a boost pressure test , i cant swear to it but it sounds to me like your ebp valve is shut off and killing power, thats where that sound is coming from
Old 05-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what is an ebp valve?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
EBPV = Electronic Back Pressure Valve. It's a butterfly valve just after the exhaust compressor that closes when the motor and outside air temp is cold (usually 35* F or colder) and restricts the exhaust flow, causing the truck to work harder, warming it up faster.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:37 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

ditty is right , the ebp can close off at anytime when something is not operating correctly even if its not cold , or possibly the rod has come loose , will shut and cause your concern , you can find the rod going from the pedestal to the buterfly under the bottom side of the turbo, yu an also unplug it to see if it makes a difference, two wire connector going into turbo pedestal
Old 05-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hate be such an idiot here but is this stuff visible from under the hood? Do I have to remove anything? Like I said in my original post the turbo diesel is new to me. Pictures are very helpful.

What do guys think about air leaks at the up pipes and the 6 boots on the compressor side of the turbo? I read about this on another forum.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

fairly visible , just looking isnt going to tel you alot , you may have to feel around ,like i said before the pedestal is what the turbo mounts to , the ebp valve is mounted in that and is fairly easy to access to tell if rod is unhooked
, the connector to the valve is a two wire connector in the very front of the pedestal, unhook it and see if makes a difference
Old 05-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2001 7.3 with 105,000 miles on it. I am also trying to track down the cause of the exact same problem on my truck. Not the fan clutch already tried that. Probably not the tranny, mine has less than 5,000 miles on the rebuild with a banks torque converter. It seems like every now and then it comes back and the truck runs perfect. But the rest of the time you have the swoosh sound and the truck has no power. It also seems like the turbo is not spooling up. When you find the problem please let me know.

Tom
Old 05-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
This link is a pic of where the EBPV plug is

Ebpv plug location pic wann make sure its the right one - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.