2002 7.3 Starting/Voltage Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3 Starting/Voltage Issue

Hey guys! I have an issue with my 02 7.3 and I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

Two days ago while driving home my radio shut off and would not turn back on manually. A few miles down the road it came back on. I pulled into the house and shut the truck off. I tried to start it back up and no go. It gave half a crank and just started clicking.

Both batteries are reading 11.3v and appears to have a new(er) alternator. For peace of mind, I pulled the alternator and had Advance Auto test it. Bench test showed OK.

Reinstalled the alt and charged the batteries above 12v each. Truck started right up. Drove down the driveway and back up, shut truck off, attempted to start, no go. Batts at 11.3v again. Quick jump box allowed truck to restart once again but yet another no-go on the restart.

It's like the truck won't start without FULL power and then it won't recharge the batteries to FULL power while running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can troubleshoot this myself with a little guidance and a place to start. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 05:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd think to have the batteries tested next, they sound the likely culprit
Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had both batteries tested last night. They both showed 11.3-11.5v but only 90-130 cranking amps. Keep in mind these are brand new Motocraft 850CCA's.

The store employee fully charged both batteries and re-ran the test. They both read fine after the charge.

So would the starter be draining both batteries of their 850CCA's and the batteries not being recharged? I was going to try checking the connections to the alternator next. It bench tested fine, but it seems like it isn't putting the charge back into the batteries.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not sure what to make of your results though.....

How were they tested? 90-130 CCA doesn't sound good to me. I test batteries by putting a 200A load test and watch the voltage to see it doesn't drop too low after 30secs or so.

And, rereading your original post You say it cranked-up fine after a good charge BUT just driving it down the driveway and it wouldn't restart. Nothing could drain so much current from battery reserves in such a short time.

Next, I too would be thinking starter but first would be sure the solenoid and All other connections were clean & tight because something here doesn't make sense. Once good batteries are fully charged you should be able to restart again & again several times Without an alternator adding anything back And a "draw" that's anything short of melting wires.

So, your warmed-up engine should catch very quickly again and if it's not restarting then, your starter should be your next suspect.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:53 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
I'm not sure what to make of your results though.....

How were they tested? 90-130 CCA doesn't sound good to me. I test batteries by putting a 200A load test and watch the voltage to see it doesn't drop too low after 30secs or so.

And, rereading your original post You say it cranked-up fine after a good charge BUT just driving it down the driveway and it wouldn't restart. Nothing could drain so much current from battery reserves in such a short time.

Next, I too would be thinking starter but first would be sure the solenoid and All other connections were clean & tight because something here doesn't make sense. Once good batteries are fully charged you should be able to restart again & again several times Without an alternator adding anything back And a "draw" that's anything short of melting wires.

So, your warmed-up engine should catch very quickly again and if it's not restarting then, your starter should be your next suspect.
Definetly start with checking all the connections. If both the batteries and the alternator are testing ok i would suspect a loose ground or power wire somewhere. Since the batteries are new make sure the cable ends on the lugs are tight, as well as looking at the starter and chassis grounds.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate the help, guys! I will check all of this within the next few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.