2000 Excursion no start with P1670 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 2000 Excursion no start with P1670

My buddy just got a 2000 Excursion with a 7.3L. It has the AFE Intake, Banks Monster exhaust, Trans Command, Otto minder, and Big Head BOV. The trans command was unplugged when he bought it. We plugged it in and drove it.

The drivers fender well was off of the vehicle due to a leaky fitting on the back of the head. The truck was driven with out the fender well in the rain. The next day he drove it for 5 miles and the truck died. I pulled a P1670. We unplugged the trans command to rule it out. After further investigation we found the connector for the IDM full of water.

Well we got a new IDM and the truck fired right up. It idled for 5 min or so and as soon as we put it in drive and hit the accelerator pedal the truck died again. Now it wont start again. We are still getting the P1670 code (no EF between the IDM & PCM).

We snagged an IDM out of a 2001 with a slightly different OE number on it. We installed it and it was ruff to start, but we could get it to start and idle. As soon as you hit the accelerator it dies, but will restart.

We then installed the new IDM back into the truck and it just cranks, no start.

We swapped each of these out 2-3 times, and disconnected the batteries every time. The P1670 always comes back, but one time it flashed a security code (I cant remember the code) but I could not duplicate it.

Any ideas, we are at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 08:09 PM

Oh yeah we checked all the fuses and changed the relay. They are all good
Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 PM

evening
Old 04-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

P1670 Electronic Feedback Signal Not Detected
DTC P1668 and P1670 indicates that a communication error has occurred between the PCM and the IDM.
Possible causes:
-- Open fuse
-- IDM relay
-- Open or shorted IDM enable circuit
-- Open/short in EF circuit
-- Open/short in FDCS circuit
-- IDM powering circuits
-- PCM

Another guy just had the same problem while camping and I believe he found it was the cps. Check out a thread several down from yours about truck crapped out while camping.

Last edited by sbcjetboat; 04-10-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcjetboat View Post
Another guy just had the same problem while camping and I believe he found it was the cps. Check out a thread several down from yours about truck crapped out while camping.
i was reading that. it seemed kinda odd that he had to go through 3 cps befor he got one that matched.

the part thats got me hung up is that the truck fired right up with the new IDM and ran great until we put it in gear and hit the accelerator and it died. Then the IDM out of an 2001 will fire up the truck but runs ruff and as soon as you hit the accelerator it dies too, but will fire back up.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Having the same symptoms

I have a 2002 7.3L ex. cab shortbed 4X4, was wondering if you ever found out what was causing your issue...I'm having similar problems. My engine will die but normally will catch itself - all 8 cylinders are cut off, no power at all. It magically comes back to life by itself generally. A couple days ago it fell on its face in my driveway and will not restart. I've been messing around with it for a few days and have gotten to start and idle a few times for about 10 seconds or so but as soon as i give it throttle it instantly dies. All fuses are grand, just wondering what you found, i know its been a few years; never hurts to ask. I have replaced the cps...has good hpop oil pressure and voltage, over 100 rpm's when cranking...scratching my head...oh yeah and the idm relay under the steering wheel clicks when trying to start. Batteries are brand new too.

Thanks,

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.