16+ volts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
16+ volts

About once a week my electrical system goes crazy, dash gauges reset, heater fan surges, headlights dim and brighten, battery light flickers. I threw in my voltmeter and when it happened this last time i checked the voltage through the cigarette lighter and it was fluctuating between 14 - 16.8. Could the voltage regulator in the alternator be going bad causing too much power? Or would it either be working or not, im confused by the intermittent problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!!!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you check the voltage at idle or while you were driving down the road? Had to ask lol. If it was idle then yes its too high and most likely the regulator. If it was above idle sounds about right. Since it comes and goes try moving the charge wire around coming off the alternator see if your problem occurs then. It bight have a pinch or broken spot.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Clean the battery cables, and grounds, sometimes a bad ground at the battery cable will give you this type of problem.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSRACING View Post
Did you check the voltage at idle or while you were driving down the road? Had to ask lol. If it was idle then yes its too high and most likely the regulator. If it was above idle sounds about right. Since it comes and goes try moving the charge wire around coming off the alternator see if your problem occurs then. It bight have a pinch or broken spot.
On a properly operating charging system, you should never see anything above 13-14 volts at idle or higher rpm's.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the help, i measured this voltage (16.7 volts) while driving down the road at about 1400 RPM's. When I measure the voltage the same way that the same RPM's it usually reads around 14.4 volts which I believe is normal. Then when the dash gauges stop working and the battery light comes on it reads 16+ volts which I think is too high. I did replace the alternator and have driven it for a few days whithout any problem, i thought it might be the voltage regulator. Since the problem only occures about once a week i'll give it a few days before I call it fixed. Im also going to clean all of the grounds I can find just in case. Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.